customs door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
This is almost identical to where my wife's uncle has his on his 73. I might see him in two weeks at a family function. If I do I'll try and take a pic of it for you.

I think you are probably right about mounting them up higher with the deep bucket. I'll be interested to read about what you come up with once you have the parts in your hand. Thinking outside the box is always good IMO.

That style handle was so common for so long, I wonder if they were ever made with a more shallow bucket.

One option, if you did not want to shave, but, have a real subtle mod might be the tiny Miata handles, colormatched of course. They're just big enough to stick a single, un gloved, finger into.

In fact, you might be able to do some sort of a manual door popper. Mount the Miata handle on the back of the cab wall. Pull it open and the door pops. If I were building a street truck, I'd totally consider that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That style handle was so common for so long, I wonder if they were ever made with a more shallow bucket.

One option, if you did not want to shave, but, have a real subtle mod might be the tiny Miata handles, colormatched of course. They're just big enough to stick a single, un gloved, finger into.

In fact, you might be able to do some sort of a manual door popper. Mount the Miata handle on the back of the cab wall. Pull it open and the door pops. If I were building a street truck, I'd totally consider that.

That is kind of a cool and "out of the box" idea! :) It wouldn't go with my truck either it'd be pretty cool to see someone do something like that just cuz it'd be different.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
well since i couldnt find any door handles that i liked i just said screw it and just went ahead and shaved the door handles all together. finished the driver side today and started on the passenger side

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Post up pics when you're done man!! :)

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Post up pics when you're done man!! :)

And post up pics when you're not done...............:Big Laugh: I'm a picture junkie, and the more pics the better....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Take a "clap on" apart and implement the thing to run on DC and power some door poppers. Just walk up to the truck and clap :roflbow:

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Take a "clap on" apart and implement the thing to run on DC and power some door poppers. Just walk up to the truck and clap :roflbow:

that sounds like something they would do on pimp my ride,lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
that sounds like something they would do on pimp my ride,lol

Only they would also add a fish tank to your center console that would change colors as you shifted gears or something....

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Only they would also add a fish tank to your center console that would change colors as you shifted gears or something....

yeah thats sounds more like it right there

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I've always wondered why no one has build a door popper that works like those fancy cabinet door poppers. Its hard to explain but, just push on the door a little bit and it pops out.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Probably because it would be too easy to open that way. You'd be able to pop the door open with a mild rattle when going down the road.

Now, if you wanted to go all electronic in your vehicle, you could probably work out a system to work with an RFID tag in your wallet or something. Kind of like some of the newer keyless ignition cars.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Probably because it would be too easy to open that way. You'd be able to pop the door open with a mild rattle when going down the road.

Now, if you wanted to go all electronic in your vehicle, you could probably work out a system to work with an RFID tag in your wallet or something. Kind of like some of the newer keyless ignition cars.

Now that'd be cool! I know that Vette's have a system where if you get within a certain distance of the car with the key it'll automatically unlock for you. My buddy had a 2001 several years back (while still living at home mind you :hmm:) but the problem was his bedroom was at the front of the house and the Vette was parked in the driveway. So all night long the car would lock and unlock because it could sense the key was at the appropriate distance from it! :) Pretty funny actually but would be a good feature to implement on some old iron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda