Custom alternator voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Before spending a dime on anything, measure the voltage at the battery stud on the alternator. If it’s more than a couple tenths power than at the alternator, fix the wiring.

Is your upgraded alternator one that is capable of remote voltage sensing? If it’s based on a CS130 case I’m pretty sure one of the 4 pins in the connectors is used to remote sensing of system voltage. If so, connect that terminal to the power cable near your amp.

Ahhh, so THAT'S what the extra pin is for! Does it get hooked up in addition to the normal wires in the harness?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
https://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLink/92965414 500539 IN 3.0.pdf

The way I understand this, you would connect your charging system warning light as usual, and connect the sense wire near the power supply to your radio/winch/whatever. The alternator will maintain its present charge voltage at that location. But before running wires all over your truck, do some research to see if that’s all that’s needed

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Check out the alternator spec: you will see that the UPPER VOLTAGE LIMIT is set at 16.3 volts! This will allow all the truck electronics work as designed with little impact on the expected life of the dash bulbs. and at the same time NOT boil the battery dry. Check with a good alternator repair shop and they can "select" a voltage regulator near this voltage. My selection of regulators are between 13.3 volts absolute minimum to 16.3 volts the absolute Max. and a bunch anywhere in between. I installed a 16.3 volt unit as it keeps the battery up better in the colder temperatures for better cold weather starting. Yes it does make a difference!

Olnick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody