Cruise Control Transducer Source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I took one of mine apart for an inspection once. It seemed delicate, like a watchmaker should be dealing with it and not me.

Pretty much looks like those pictures.

Use a 7/16 ratchet and box end to remove the mounting bolts , nut, and lock washer (only on one of the bolts on Goldie :think: ).

I drew a line across the 2 pieces with a Sharpie before disassembly, and there are just 2 1/4 inch bolts that hold the cover on.

Cover comes right off.

You must be registered for see images attach

The bottom portion - did not play in that ...

I decided to put some grease in the cavity of the cover where the gears are, and on the stem of the shaft that goes into the main body.

Put some on the cable ends also, and test drove it. Started out with the speedo going crazy like it was, and then it seemed to settle down some.

Oh, the cruise still works, so even if I did not completely solve the problem I don't believe I did any damage. :anitoof:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Pretty much looks like those pictures.

Use a 7/16 ratchet and box end to remove the mounting bolts , nut, and lock washer (only on one of the bolts on Goldie :think: ).

I drew a line across the 2 pieces with a Sharpie before disassembly, and there are just 2 1/4 inch bolts that hold the cover on.

Cover comes right off.

The bottom portion - did not play in that ...

I decided to put some grease in the cavity of the cover where the gears are, and on the stem of the shaft that goes into the main body.

Put some on the cable ends also, and test drove it. Started out with the speedo going crazy like it was, and then it seemed to settle down some.

Oh, the cruise still works, so even if I did not completely solve the problem I don't believe I did any damage. :anitoof:
Mine settled down too but it took a while.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I believe I've found a decent source for a transducer for the '79. It turns out I need the 2 wire transducer because even though I have a 3 wire now I do not have the resume valve which is a separate piece that bolts to the transducer. The guy I am getting it from rebuilds them and had a lot of good information when I talked to him. My mistake was assuming the equipment in my truck actually came in the truck originally which led my search awry.

Check out this guy's store: https://www.ebay.com/str/celiafromthenutcompany86

I should have the new transducer on Saturday and I'll report the results as soon as I can.

Got mine in today, and installed. No factory sticker like my OE one :oops:, but it was painted all purty aluminum and gold.

No issues with fit - it works fine for the cruise but I will have to experiment more tomorrow as I am not 100 % the push to slow and hold the new lower speed is working, but I was having a hard time with street traffic being able to cruise at 40.:rolleyes:

If it fixes the speedo jumpies it is probably a fair trade, though. :D

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Still some speedo wobbles, but the cruise seems to work as intended. Only trick is that using the speed increase feature the button is touchy, and so you get 2 or 3 up increments and then if you don't touch it the way it likes :mwah1: she'll decide to cancel the cruise, and you have to reset.

That is probably in the 40 year old stalk, not the transducer, as it was somewhat persnickety before.

The coast to lower speed seems to work.

So, all in all, probably good $'s spent.

Still wish it had the sticker, tho ...

:(

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Did you lube the cable between the transducer and the speedo? I replaced both of my cables when I did it but the speedo was still jumpy for a a few days for some reason.

mine will cancel on bumpy roads but it’s from the brake pedal shaking and hitting the switch I believe so I bought new bushings. We’ll see if that makes it better.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did you lube the cable between the transducer and the speedo? I replaced both of my cables when I did it but the speedo was still jumpy for a a few days for some reason.

mine will cancel on bumpy roads but it’s from the brake pedal shaking and hitting the switch I believe so I bought new bushings. We’ll see if that makes it better.

I lubed all the cables ( well, all 2 LOL ) last week or so.

I remember my old Sub disengaging the cruise on big bumps - don't think this one has done it, and interesting theory on pedal switch. I always assumed it was some safety feature. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito