Crossover steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
So i searched and searched but couldn't find a whole lot of info about crozzover steering. i guess my main question is do they make a crossover steering kit for a 2" lift(edit: all i can find is one for a 4") and what are the pros/cons of having crossover steering?

Last edited:

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
I know you can get companies like Off Road Design to make a CO steering arm for a 2" lift.

But, IMO, there really isnt a need for CO steering for just a 2" lift. CO steering is greatly benefited with 4" and up. Depends on your application of your rig, I guess.

Quoted from Offroad Design website:

The straight axle GM trucks suffer from some serious steering problems, one of the biggest is due to poor geometry. The factory GM steering will fail to steer the truck when you're in twisted offroad situations. In fact, there are many times when the steering box is all the way to lock and the tires are pointed straight! Our solution to this is a "crossover steering" system where the draglink runs side to side instead of front to back. This dramatically improves the steering geometry and makes turning to the axle stops possible under all conditions.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
I've heard that it gives you a better steering feel all around, even on the street. I do mainly want it for off road as i do a lot of hunting and some flex comes with the territory. Is it true that it helps on road too though? I wouldn't mind running a 4" lift but don't want to run any bigger than a 33" tire. Mainly I don't want to have to climb a ladder every time i want to get things in and out of my truck. I think a 4" lift with 33's might look a little disproportional though and can't seem to find a picture or pictures that really show a sb with 4" and 33's that gives a good reference of how tall it looks and how proportionate it is. I only found one truck that was a black short bed (I think the pics are on here in the lifted truck thread) but couldn't quite tell these things. I wish i could find one to look at in person lol.

P.S.
Sorry for the novel.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have ord's cross over high steer kit with 6'' suspension and it works very well

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard that it gives you a better steering feel all around, even on the street. I do mainly want it for off road as i do a lot of hunting and some flex comes with the territory. Is it true that it helps on road too though? I wouldn't mind running a 4" lift but don't want to run any bigger than a 33" tire. Mainly I don't want to have to climb a ladder every time i want to get things in and out of my truck. I think a 4" lift with 33's might look a little disproportional though and can't seem to find a picture or pictures that really show a sb with 4" and 33's that gives a good reference of how tall it looks and how proportionate it is. I only found one truck that was a black short bed (I think the pics are on here in the lifted truck thread) but couldn't quite tell these things. I wish i could find one to look at in person lol.

P.S.
Sorry for the novel.

My Burb has 4 inches and it's just 33's. It's a great all around combo, and my wife takes the kids to school in it everyday.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's kinda level in that pic. I have more, but I didn't look real hard for a better one.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
That looks pretty good. Looks functional but not "Gawdy" tall. I think a 4" will do me well as I do offraod some. Thanks for the replies guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard