Crap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Im trying to help out if i can and add content so i was doing a writeup on my brake job i just did. I took over 100 pictures to make sure it was in depth. I got everything together and finally sat down to make this thing. 2 hours into this project i was done with the front brakes and just moving onto the rear drums when my laptop came unplugged and shut off. All i can say is MOTHER ******!!!!!!!!

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Damn That Sucks

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
We should start an entire thread dedicated to things like this that make you say every bad word you know. We have all been there, I gaurantee i have. Like when I spent forty five minutes hooking up the starter on the new motor, bloodying both hands in the process, stood back from my freshly completed task and looked at the solenoid heat shield sitting on the workbench. Mother.............$%^% $%^&^ #$&*!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Very good idea, it could even be a learning tool. I hope i dont come off as rude when i say **** its just so cool you can post the word here.

I nearly lost it a couple times yesterday. I was in town chasing down everything for my break job, I've been running on a donut tire waiting for a new tire for while. It picked up a nail (******* neighbor nailed the road) in my SPARE that was on the car. waiting to pick up the rotors and drums noticed my tire was way low and started freaking out, called every tire store and even walmart, no one has a 235/55/r17. The mustang i drive is very common and its still got stock size tires, i do not understand why no one has these tires. Since its the temporary spare no one will even take it of the rim so i couldn't get it fixed.

I used fix-a-flat the first time in my life since i had a flat donut in the walmart parking lot.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
It is always the jobs that you dismiss in your mind as "half an hour no more" that turn into an entire weekend of heartache and pain. I went to change the oil on my wifes Subaru and discovered that the monkeys at Quickie Lube had apparently installed the drain plug with a airwrench! Its leaking of course because they used a steel plug on an aluminum pan (engineered failure) Of course I have no idea what size bolt the damned thing is, and spend two hours in the car driving around trying to find one. It then occurs to me that the stock plug won't work because the pan is stripped! This was Saturday, gone forever. I finally got a universal rubber washer and toggle bolt plug to get it working until I can figure where to go from there. And again I said, mother--******! Don't even ask me why I didn't change the oil myself in the fiirst place, its a loooooonnnng story LOL

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Haha i've been there man, I cant believe they did that to your car! Every time i decided to do something i tell my wife, "yea it should just take a couple hours and about 50 bucks". I learned to quit saying that.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Trying desperately to get the 383 buttoned up and started. First I couldn't get it static timed (lack of practice and never done one from scratch before) Got that done, then the ignition was dead. I forgot to run a battery wire to the distributor (one of many things i cut loose and threw away without thinking) Got that fixed, no i have no fuel at the carb! Looks like i hooked the fuel pump up to the return line from the original 305. So now I've got to fish through the three or four lines running back towards the tank and decide which one is the feed line that I'm going to keep and which ones I'm going to rip out and get rid of. This would have been sooooo much easier if i had paid more attention when the motor was out of the truck. CRAP LOL

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
please dont end with "crap" let lose and say something horrible. After my stupid write up on the brake job i realize taking pictures during a teardown is valuable, i already spotted something i did wrong while re assembling. But if i followed my own write up i would not have made the mistake?

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Something horrible is what I said last night when I had finished killing myself dropping the gas tank (3/4 FULL!) tracing the lines, remounting the fuel pump, falling on my already bad ankle, and STILL NO ******* FUEL! I'm taking a few days off from working on the truck before I do something i'm sure I'll regret for years. Did they change the length of the fuel pump pushrod after 85 or something? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Are you posetive your connected to the right line?

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
The only 3/8 line that goes from the pick-up in the tank all the way to the front of the engine compartment. It has to be the one. Well, it doesn't HAVE to be but still.... Could Jegs have sent me a bum pump I wonder?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Pull the (+) from the distributor, stick the end of the fuel line coming out of the pump into a gas can and have someone crank it a couple times. Or get a fuel pressure gauge.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
It was the pump. Not sure if it was meant for an older motor than mine or not, but I used the old pump off the blowed up 350 and it fired right up:grd:
It looks like the lever arm is too short on the new pump that i got from Jegs. Now i have an oil leak that looks like it is coming from the rear main seal:flipthebird: Why in hell would a brand new engine be leaking oil from the rear main seal? I couldn't possibly have damaged it putting it in the truck....

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The crank could be grooved from a million miles of seal wear in that one spot, or whoever assembled the engine didn't oil or grease the new seal upon installation. Putting a dry seal in is bad. I usually use assembly lube on seals if the engine is out of the vehcle during a rebuild, motor oil if installing the seal in an engine already in the vehicle.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Then it probably was assembled dry dammit. Although they claim to have dyno run the engine before crating it up. It stands to reason that they would have seen a leaking rear main seal right? Then again.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast