COWL HOOD MOLDING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Cant someone just use bulk / universal molding you can buy online to do this? Its a common door edge, panel edge addition and can be had in various sizes.
You must be registered for see images attach

I had to look at an actual photo graph to see my original hood without walking outside(its cold :( ) and I was right, my truck had the molding on the hood. Well it still is there, but its not on the truck. If you wanted a used molding then I have one thats not busy
also here is a photo circa 2007 or so of my square
I have looked at the aftermarket trim. I just cannot find anything that I like. The original trim actually slides over the lip. If all else fails, I will look at the trim that has an "L" notch on it so it looks like it wraps the edge at least.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have the same on my 78 k10 Silverado.
I thought about taking it off, it's worn out. Every other piece of trim is aluminum (or some type of metal) on my truck. Why did GM think plastic on the hood was a good idea?

Reactions: WFO

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have the same on my 78 k10 Silverado.
I thought about taking it off, it's worn out. Every other piece of trim is aluminum (or some type of metal) on my truck. Why did GM think plastic on the hood was a good idea?
Probably because it was near glass, would be hard to keep from having kinks, or perhaps when coated it didnt get a scratchd look that metal may.. maybe.. idk.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yeah i've found other means, she can have it obviously. Taylor saves the day, YET AGAIN :p

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
if you do find one, the trick will be getting it off. Well at least mine was super glued on, if the one you'll be getting off is factory you might not have a problem
Yeah, mine is able to slide right off. Been on there so long the adhesive is gone. Guess we will see when I hit the bone yard.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
as a temporary fix could you wrap you warn out one with some chrome vinyl wrap?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Mine got broken when it was taken off for the paint. Presumably my 77 had it, too - I cant remember. :boxed:

Anyhoo, the simplest and cheapest solution would be:

Leave it off.

The chrome on mine was in better shape than the windshield molding so not having that comparison staring you in the face makes the windshield molding issue look a little bit less worse.

Just a thought.

:Big Laugh:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
FWIW looks like the original PN is 473869 (might help in your quest). There was a dealer with a stack of these 7 yrs ago that sold them out for almost $700/ea back then.

This place is in Italy - shipping will suck (if they have it) but would be a find of they do. If they have more than one, buy 2 or so....shipping would be about the same for 2 as 1. Sell it to recoup a few bucks or share the costs with someone looking for one as well.

https://www.usaspareparts.com/parts/333-gm-parts/696726/473869-molding-asmhood-rr.html

I bought my NOS proportioning valve from a place in Jordan, so never know what they have. Doesn't look like a tough piece to repop.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah i've found other means, she can have it obviously. Taylor saves the day, YET AGAIN :p
eh i Found it nearby the hood and it wasnt in good shape, it got bent about 1/3 the way and the paint is all off. it maybe could be redone and be ok but ehh.. i can post a pic too if needed. id use one on a car hood in my despair scrap yard before that but eh. before that i would use commercially purchaseable universal trim from some company in roll and right measurements and work on a metal strip myself, but to truly copy the OE would be a lot more searching me thinks.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Mine got broken when it was taken off for the paint. Presumably my 77 had it, too - I cant remember. :boxed:

Anyhoo, the simplest and cheapest solution would be:

Leave it off.

The chrome on mine was in better shape than the windshield molding so not having that comparison staring you in the face makes the windshield molding issue look a little bit less worse.

Just a thought.

:Big Laugh:
depending on the truck of course, almost wouldnt be a bad idea to do a black or other solid color plastic trim if it complimented someones truck. such as, if someone had a red truck or maybe was more satin/no gloss kind of moldings/trims/maybe paint, that a solid black trim piece could look nice or a solid color if someone didnt have a chrome windshield molding. it would almost need that windshield to be non-chrome or matching to look good, but im sure there are creative means. basically if I saw a matte black truck a dark, satin or even matte still like grey or even just a darker black wouldnt be bad to look at.

just ideas if someone had a truck that could be complimented better by color or non chrome stuffs. im all about ******* chrome and shiny because the racoon in me (Apparently its related to a survival instinct to seek out water/be drawn to it) and im okay with that.

You must be registered for see images attach

basically those door pillars and rear door quarter window trim pieces are just the beginning. the factory chrome accents are nice, yes, but I scoped out no less than 8 different products i want to get eventually that will add MORE. Wheel wells, windshield and back window pieces, lower rocker/door covers(great for covering the rust :) ) and door handle covers.. something for the mirror, a stripe that follows the piece of roof where the roof ditch is a small thin piece that runs both sides front back. Something for the rear lid... chromeeeeeee...

Whenever in my life i get a nice square you bet your butt that thing is gonna be visible from space so long as any light is hitting it.

this is what happens when you get me dreaming and thinking about chrome and chrome accesories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84