Coolant Reservoir Leak '87? - '91

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Hello All,
Anybody else struggling with coolant reservoir leaks?
On the later models, I think it started in '87? and went to '91.
They're mounted on the top of the right hand fender well.
I have a continuous leak from the front mounting tab.
I replaced this reservoir so many times I lost track.
I've gone through at least three NOS GM reservoirs, when they were still available.
And they all leak when new.
Apparently the supplier had some kind of problem near the tail end of their production.
I tryed a repro. from LMC.
It It didn't leak for a short time and then it started leaking in the exact same place.
Has anybody solved this problem?
Or have a source of reservoirs that don't?
Thanks in advance.
DAP

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I replaced the one on my Blazer with a new GM a few years back but it started weeping down the fender liner about a month after I got it. After reading a lot of similar feedback I replaced mine with a 2 qt billet aluminum tank from Amazon. Ultimately, with the tank, AN fittings and molded hose I spent just over $100 when there are a plenty of less expensive universal tanks, I just didn't like them.

After I had installed my tank I saw pics where a guy installed an OE coolant tank from an 88+ gmt400. He mounted the tank to the fender next to the core support, it looked almost like it was original (to the square body).

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I was going to suggest the same thing that John has done. Replace it with an aftermarket. You can get aftermarkets in plastic to, and you can relocate the tank if desired.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LOL. I just replaced my factory one with an LMC unit about a week ago. It seemed the issue with the OEM one was that the corner was pressed together, like folded over like a taco and it eventually split apart slightly. Now that I see this is somewhat common I'm going to do what I contemplated earlier. Empty it, clean it out and fill the inside corner with epoxy. If its solid, it wont leak!

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
I repaired mine with JB Weld on and around the tab outside of tank while it was mounted on the fender well. has not leaked since. That way it was stressed (bolted) to fender well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK