Consumer Awareness when buying parts !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So when I was replacing my harmoic balancer that I got a killer deal on from Rock Auto, I decided to change the front timing cover seal too. I didn't want to mail order it since I'm ready to put the truck together now and figured it was only $4-$5 for a seal.

Called O'Reilly's since they're open til 10pm. The damn seal was $14.99. It was National Brand, so it was a good seal no doubt. The price just didn't seem right, so before I went up there, I decided to look up the part # myself to make sure the guy on the phone didn't screw up and giving me the wrong part #. He was right, it was $14.99. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...&keyword=timing+cover+seal&pt=C1955&ppt=C0026

So I decided to check the price for a complete timing cover gasket/seal kit. Fel Pro timing cover gasket kit is $12.99. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...&keyword=timing+cover+seal&pt=C1955&ppt=C0026

For those who don't know, Fel Pro, Federal Mogual, National Seal are all the same people. When I got to O'Reilly's, the guy even pulled both and matched them up. Same identical seal with the same markings even as the Fel Pro seal in the kit. Saved $2 + tax, and now have a timing cover gasket set and water pump gaskets. Being I just replaced this seal, when I do my cam and intake swap, I've already got the timing cover set in stock now and I'll use the same seal since it won't be that old and just have to get an intake manifold gasket set now.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box. Just like back in the day, when I did head swaps and need a head gasket set, I usually just bought a complete engine gasket set for about $4-$6 more. Then when I needed an oil pan gasket, rear main or timing cover set for a cam swap, I already had them

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How do they do that ??? bigger box, more parts, less money. I just do`nt know.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How do they do that ??? bigger box, more parts, less money. I just do`nt know.

I see stuff like that done quite frequently. Chances are, I have a feeling it has to do with mass production, which means less labor and/or depending on packaging area, the cost of labor. Alot of it has to do with marketing and competition too.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I encountered the same thing with a '96 Chevy 3.1 recently. I was so shocked by the seal price that I checked the timing cover gasket set price. Just kept the extra gaskets. It's more common than I realized.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reminder... I've seen stuff like that before. More recently I've found out that it's quite easy and much cheaper to buy components for different systems like P/S pumps, alternators, and such to rebuild them myself rather than get re-manned units from the store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco