Complex, yet probably simple electrical concern:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
If we could look at this first diagram, this is how i was running my electric fan (a Spal by the way) for the past year or so with no problems whatsoever:

You must be registered for see images attach

But today i said what the heck and wanted to install the 3 prong lighted switch i got last year with the fan, but ended up not using it because i had trouble getting it to work and thus went with the 2 prong toggle above. Again, that setup worked totally fine this past yr.

So, this is the setup i tried today:

After i got it all hooked up and tested----the fan and switch light worked fine, i then buttoned everything up. To do this, i had to disconnect and reconnect the wires due to the way my gauge console is setup.

So after everything is buttoned up, i get nothing----no fan and the switch does not light up.

So, let's look at the diagram of the fuse panel:

This past whole year i was getting power to the switch from slot #1. i took a test light and there was no power coming from #1 or #2, but there was power coming from #3, so that's what i'm using now and back to the original 2 prong switch because i need the fan more than i need the lighted switch because this is my daily driver. The fan works fine now.

1) i'm thinking i "blew" something related to #1 and #2. If so, what? And how do i fix/reset this?

2) Do i now need a fuse going from the fuse box to the switch if i want to use the 3 prong lighted switch? (My gut feeling is yes, but i'm not clear why?)

3) What caused the problem?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You have 85 and 86 switched yes it will work but 85 is ground. What size relay are you running? Fusing the switch is a good idea.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If we could look at this first diagram, this is how i was running my electric fan (a Spal by the way) for the past year or so with no problems whatsoever:

But today i said what the heck and wanted to install the 3 prong lighted switch i got last year with the fan, but ended up not using it because i had trouble getting it to work and thus went with the 2 prong toggle above. Again, that setup worked totally fine this past yr.

So, this is the setup i tried today:

After i got it all hooked up and tested----the fan and switch light worked fine, i then buttoned everything up. To do this, i had to disconnect and reconnect the wires due to the way my gauge console is setup.

So after everything is buttoned up, i get nothing----no fan and the switch does not light up.

So, let's look at the diagram of the fuse panel:

This past whole year i was getting power to the switch from slot #1. i took a test light and there was no power coming from #1 or #2, but there was power coming from #3, so that's what i'm using now and back to the original 2 prong switch because i need the fan more than i need the lighted switch because this is my daily driver. The fan works fine now.

1) i'm thinking i "blew" something related to #1 and #2. If so, what? And how do i fix/reset this?

In light of the fact that your headlights are still functional, it's highly likely that you just blew the 20A HORN DM fuse. That fuse provides overcurrent protection for that BAT bank of sockets as well as the HORN DOME lamp circuit. If you do in fact have H/L's I would check that fuse first. On the other hand, if the HL's are out, it will almost surely be a blown fusible link. Unfortunately it is one of the two that are connected to battery power down at the starter solenoid. The ones on the firewall are unrelated to the circuits being discussed.

2) Do i now need a fuse going from the fuse box to the switch if i want to use the 3 prong lighted switch? (My gut feeling is yes, but i'm not clear why?)

That's your call, but it isn't really necessary. The circuit is still going to be protected by HORN DM fuse as well as the fusible link. Also since the fuse/lighted switch are only for relay control (as opposed to running the fan), it's probably overkill.

3) What caused the problem?

Maybe it would be best to define the problem before looking for a cause - but I seem to recall you writing recently about a dwindling supply of sockets in your fuse block? Maybe you shorted something - IDK.

The circuits traced in RED below are the ones you will be concerned with. Basically it's just the feed to the BAT socket bank and the HL's

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD