Clutch safety switch delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Speaking of guardrails ....lol some of ours were removed because of safety issues.No kidding
Guardrail designs and applications are ever evolving and quite frankly far more complicated than need be.
Apparently lawsuits received by public agencies when someone crashes into a guardrail are one of the most numerous causes because the public agencies are generally borderline schizophrenic with respect to guardrails.

I’ve tore out and made approved designs less safe as the agencies believed their liability in an accident was reduced by the less safe design.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Guardrail designs and applications are ever evolving and quite frankly far more complicated than need be.
Apparently lawsuits received by public agencies when someone crashes into a guardrail are one of the most numerous causes because the public agencies are generally borderline schizophrenic with respect to guardrails.

I’ve tore out and made approved designs less safe as the agencies believed their liability in an accident was reduced by the less safe design.
Our type of energy/ collapsible types were impaling people as the car rammed into the end of the rail.Slicing right into the car and persons like a knife.They started removing these types a few years ago.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
We could also discuss the inconvenience of the shifter interlock that prevents taking an auto trans shifter out of park in order to put it in gear until one puts their foot on the brake ....
OK, read through to here and this one really popped my bubble. We have an '03 Impala that has this wonderful little feature. It decides on a whim when it wants to function and always at the worst possible time does it choose to touch its inner a$$hole and deny service. This car has now become a two person minimum car, because inadvertently someone has to get out, disconnect the shifter cable at the shift quadrant and manipulate it to whatever gear you want. Quite the pita.

And no, the park brake is ineffective so you can't hop out on your own and shift into reverse, back out of the parking spot, get out, open the hood again and shift into drive, shut hood and proceed to roam about the planet.

Probably only needs a shot of wd40 to wash out 19 years of dust

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The driver should know how to drive, and this usually means understanding how the vehicle works. New cars have rear cameras.. Great. People cannot drive without them now.. This is the funniest thread I have seen yet on internet car forums. Thanks for the laugh. Mine was bypassed weeks after I got the truck because it was annoying.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I drove a new Jetta with an automatic (rental, have no interest in owning a new/foreign vehicle), and it was annoying AF. The brake pedal had to be pressed to start the ignition. Then the car decided to turn itself off at various times to save gas. Also annoying.

When did a neutral safety switch become insufficient for an auto?

I get the purpose of the clutch safety switch, I think they're a good thing. Could be an annoyance like the VW though.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
OK, read through to here and this one really popped my bubble. We have an '03 Impala that has this wonderful little feature. It decides on a whim when it wants to function and always at the worst possible time does it choose to touch its inner a$$hole and deny service. This car has now become a two person minimum car, because inadvertently someone has to get out, disconnect the shifter cable at the shift quadrant and manipulate it to whatever gear you want. Quite the pita.

And no, the park brake is ineffective so you can't hop out on your own and shift into reverse, back out of the parking spot, get out, open the hood again and shift into drive, shut hood and proceed to roam about the planet.

Probably only needs a shot of wd40 to wash out 19 years of dust
The column actuator is either sticking, binding, wearing, not adjusted, or there is a worn pin / key that has worn the lock cylinder
does your car have an open recall for the ignition switch recall? Check vin on NHTSA website

your key is on the column, right? if not, Im not sure how to replace it but you should look at your key/tumblr
and you should definitely pull the column parts off and inspect the thing if you have column swithc. Also, battery connections need to be checked clean and good, the cables corrode in the rubber covers you dont see it.

The issue is a common GM problem in that era.
The problem is multiple different things depending on column, floor, shift or column, dash cylinder and seemingly chevy and buick taking an L in the 2000s hard and olds, saturn, pontiac, not being so bad but it seems to be possible on

the problem is worse with keys that have more keys on the chains, keys that sit in back pockets, keys that have been used a lot(sometimes a new key cut to vin can help) and people who force the cylinder when it doesnt work(not really everyones fault tho) and then heavy things on the key chain while in the cylinder.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I drove a new Jetta with an automatic (rental, have no interest in owning a new/foreign vehicle), and it was annoying AF. The brake pedal had to be pressed to start the ignition. Then the car decided to turn itself off at various times to save gas. Also annoying.

When did a neutral safety switch become insufficient for an auto?

I get the purpose of the clutch safety switch, I think they're a good thing. Could be an annoyance like the VW though.
electronic start stop

also brake to start is a common goody, esp with push buttons. my favorite is the electronic parking brakes.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I had a lot of fun reading all this had to bring it back from the dead.2 of the things people thought couldn't happen would only happen to a stupid person etc. Have happened in my life,not of my own doing it was the ex the kids and lack of supervision but appropriate safety device would have stopped it. The ex left Vince in his car seat in our running suburban he got out of his car seat pulled the burb out of park took off downhill and hit a phone pole. Kim was using one of my cars because something was wrong with her van Alex ran out to start the car for mom just like she did every morning with the van. My car auto to manual swapped bypassed nss rather than put in a clutch switch. Car started in gear with a 1st grader in it. Again just some property damage but some of these safety devices even though we are smart enough to live without them. Sometimes chit happens.

Vpilot

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck runs perfectly, but I won't start it because I'm fighting my clutch safety switch.

My '84 K10 has one of those crappy adjustable switches that just slides to the end. After a number of starts with the clutch pedal pressed to the floorboards my new clutch slave cylinder blew. Replacing that and bleeding it was not fun. I'm not going repeat that fiasco so my truck is dead in the water until I fix the safety switch issue. I truly hate that switch.

I need to find an OEM switch or bypass it. Does anyone have a photo of the wiring for a bypass? Can anyone point me to a current OEM switch source?

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84