Cluster gurus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I plan on taking out the 4 gauges on the left of my cluster panel
Can I cut that side off the cluster plastic piece and my fuel and speedo gauges still light up and work?
Speedo is mechanical
I assume fuel is electronic and has dual tanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm not hardly a guru but I do have some serious hours on these clusters.

The speedometer requires no electrical connection - so that will not be an issue.

Do you plan on cutting out the section of the pc board that the left hand gauges are wired to - or just bending it out of the way ?

The fuel tank level gauge should have power, sensing and ground connections (via the RH side of the pc board). There are two groups of power and ground leads on the board. The ones on the RH side (gas gauge) are independent of the gauges on the left side (oil, temp,voltage). So even if you do cut the LH side of the pc board - it will probably still work.

Whether you have dual tanks or just the production tank doesn't matter - all switching is done outside the instrument cluster.

I can't think of a fourth gauge - unless you mean the clock. The clock is not powered/grounded through the pc board - it is connected to the fuse block and the ground bus by external wires.

It would help a lot if you can provide more details on what you are planning to do. For example: Do you plan on installing some aftermarket gauges and run new leads to them? If so, how do you intend to mount them with that section of the bucket cut out?

Last edited:

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm making a pillar pod for aftermarket tack/water/oil/volt gauges
I'd like to cut a square where the cluster gauges are and make a cubby area there or whatever I decide on
The oil and water are already after market so it's just rerouting the lines
Tack also is already installed
None of the gauges work and clock only works once in awhile

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why not just put gauges in the stock gauge area and skip messing with pillar pods?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You should be okay then. The gas gauge has it's own power and ground leads on the pc board (shared with backlighting) and obviously, it's sensing lead is separate from everything else.

Blue = sensing
Red = positive
Green (I think - color blind) = negative

You must be registered for see images attach

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Green is brown
I'll look at some point when I get the time

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why not just put gauges in the stock gauge area and skip messing with pillar pods?

I agree with bucket. It would be easier to house all the aftermarket gauges in the stock locations using the stock bezel.

Where are you sourcing pillar pods? No one makes any that are square body specific... well, someone is close, but some on here don't like him and his site.

This is my own personal opinion now, but I think the pillar pods are dumb and more for a "look at me" motif. I love it when people conceal there extra gauges from the wandering eye, rather than stick them out there for everyone to see. Again, my own personal opinion, and I am sure I am in the minority on my view, as usual.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My cluster looks like crap from previous owner
So I'm gonna replace them
I also like the look of the pods
And I'm not saying your opinion is wrong
Most guys that have them don't have a clue what boost actually is so I agree they just show them off
And I can rewire my dash at the same time and run the aftermarket gauges neatly and in their own harness
And I'm using an extra trim piece and how I'm doing it is yet to be decided
Make the pods out of thin aluminum or fiberglass and mold them to the trim in some fashion
And where my cluster is I'd like a place to possibly add other gauges down the road with a cummins swap
And yes it might be easier to skip messing with the pods
But it doesn't bother me to try it at least

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is my own personal opinion now, but I think the pillar pods are dumb and more for a "look at me" motif. I love it when people conceal there extra gauges from the wandering eye, rather than stick them out there for everyone to see. Again, my own personal opinion, and I am sure I am in the minority on my view, as usual.

Have to say, I'm with you on this. Here's where my tachs get mounted:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Have to say, I'm with you on this. Here's where my tachs get mounted:

lol

I would buy a pillar pod if I could. I like them too when there kept low off the dash.

I like that you can keep your eye on the road while checking your gauges or and that you are more apt to notice something awry because there in your line of vision while driving.

And There is not enough room in the stock gauge bezel for all the gauges that I would like to run.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My cluster looks like crap from previous owner
So I'm gonna replace them
I also like the look of the pods
And I'm not saying your opinion is wrong
Most guys that have them don't have a clue what boost actually is so I agree they just show them off
And I can rewire my dash at the same time and run the aftermarket gauges neatly and in their own harness
And I'm using an extra trim piece and how I'm doing it is yet to be decided
Make the pods out of thin aluminum or fiberglass and mold them to the trim in some fashion
And where my cluster is I'd like a place to possibly add other gauges down the road with a cummins swap
And yes it might be easier to skip messing with the pods
But it doesn't bother me to try it at least

Do it man! I wasn't trying to tell you not to try something, please don't misunderstand me. I am all for doing your own thing to your vehicle!

lol

I would buy a pillar pod if I could. I like them too when there kept low off the dash.

And There is not enough room in the stock gauge bezel for all the gauges that I would like to run.

I haven't checked the status lately, but the site owner of 73-87chevytrucks was/is close to coming out with a triple pillar pod for our trucks.

And yes MadOgre, I would consider running a pillar pod, IF all my stock gauge locations were taken and I couldn't come up with a different mounting spot. I am trying to figure out a convenient spot for a A/F meter...

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just like having things in eye sight. and the smaller the gauge for pods the better.

I think pillar pods are better looking then those 3 gauge brackets that you bolt to the dash.

But heh every one is different. I don't necessarily prescribe that my way is the best, its just what I prefer.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do it man! I wasn't trying to tell you not to try something, please don't misunderstand me. I am all for doing your own thing to your vehicle!

I haven't checked the status lately, but the site owner of 73-87chevytrucks was/is close to coming out with a triple pillar pod for our trucks.

And yes MadOgre, I would consider running a pillar pod, IF all my stock gauge locations were taken and I couldn't come up with a different mounting spot. I am trying to figure out a convenient spot for a A/F meter...

Lol I understood what ya was saying
I plan on trying to get 4 in the pillar
That takes the three out of my cluster and adds a volt
And that's what I'm talking about
To me there's no where flattering or practical to put extra gauges

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I am wondering this myself.

I was going to put factory gauges in mine but the cluster I ended up with has a screwed up part no the circuit board.

So I am just going to modify my existing cluster with the idiot lights and remove the lights and put my gauges there./

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85