Clunking noise on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillon Campbell

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Installed a new 355 I built into my k10 this weekend. Got everything wired up and went to start it and it begins to crank but then will make a loud clunking noise. It will then start to turn over again and do it again. Pulled the starter and checked to make sure it was mating with the flywheel properly and it was. Can’t figure out what it is. Any input would be great.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Installed a new 355 I built into my k10 this weekend. Got everything wired up and went to start it and it begins to crank but then will make a loud clunking noise. It will then start to turn over again and do it again. Pulled the starter and checked to make sure it was mating with the flywheel properly and it was. Can’t figure out what it is. Any input would be great.
Is your engine twisting or rocking on it’s mounts. When turning slowly a small block would be quite imbalanced and shake more than when it’s running and fairly well balanced. So a mount that’s loose or worn might work enough when it’s runnin but really show when starting. Mine does that. Also transfer case mount, it’s gonna be your third driveline mounting point that keeps it twisting the other two which are holding it the opposite direction themselves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512