Clearbra on a squarebody?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bottom of the doors and fenders obviously get hammered with rock chips, even more so when you got big ole mudders sticking out of the fenderwells.

Got me thinkin, once I get this thing painted, doing the typical clearbra across the hood/nose of the truck, and then both sides from the lower trim line down to the bottom. Or maybe just the bottom 6" and in front of the rear wheel wells where the factory had a protective strip.

Anyone do this before and how well is it holding up? I did it on our new Charger a few years ago and it's doing it's job nicely, even saved a big ole scratch from something that got kicked up and run over. But the car doesn't have aggressive tires and they dont protrude out of the wheel wells.

Any idears on how long it would last with a regular barrage of debris like lifted trucks with big tires like to throw around?

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm all for it. My new 21 GMC came from the factory with it on the rockers, front of wheel wells and around the gas door. Xpel is the place to get it. They sell vehicle specific kits and bulk. It's easy to apply. Just like window tint but more forgiving. Put it in wet and squeegee it out.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have three cars with Xpel, but never bothered with the square because it came with some old-school old-man accessories that prevent chips, Dee Zee running boards and a wind deflector on the hood.

My oldest car with ppf is an ‘04 Accord. 3M material was installed when new, and then replaced with Xpel in 2019 when the 3M ppf started to crack. At 155,000 miles, there isn’t a single paint chip on the front end, despite at one point taking a hit from a rock big enough to cause a dent.

Doing the rockers on a square is a good idea, and I would look into doing a double layer in the area behind the rear tires.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s a good idea doubling up in real high wear areas. It sticks to itself well.
I’m pretty familiar with the stuff have done a few vechiles with pre cut kits for the difficult areas. And some out of bulk material. Either trim to fit after install or template and cut exact fit pieces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo