Cleaning speedometer &cable connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have the cluster out and have refurbed the instrumentation. Question. Can I/should I put a couple drops of 3-n-1 oil on spedo wheels? # 2, can I spary electronic cleaner down into speedo cable connect to clean it out? And what about a drop of oil? This truck is 40+ years old and has lots of time capsule grime and just trying to get things cleaned up before reassembly

You must be registered for see images attach

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
pull cable out of housing and wash out with solvent then chassis grease(low temp thinner version) or preferably white lithium grease the cable end to end and then put it back in housing. these cables dont last forever they wear out and start binding up eventually and start making the speedo needle jump etc... eventually will twist and snap off tranny speedo gear end of cable.. grease wont fix this.. replace cable in that case. if speedo needle is jumping and the cable is thumping now then its too late already.. replace cable now. you can buy new cable cheap or pull one off another truck or old school car caprice monte etc thats not binding up. heres what hppens when they bind up and snap off at speedo tranny gear end.. like with my 75 C20, this is the end of the cable form inside speedo driven gear in tranny tail.... due to no lube and binding up... i have a stash of cables from cars trucks over the past 25 years... so i just swapped another one on... if yours isnt binding yet then wash it the cable housing out with solvent carb or brake cleaner or whatever and clean the cable length all of it, and then grease the whole cable length and youre done.. easy..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Ok, thx, maybe stupid question, but i am pulling the cable from inside the connection at pic (the pin?) And how do I pull it

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, thx, maybe stupid question, but i am pulling the cable from inside the connection at pic (the pin?) And how do I pull it

Yes. And you pull it from the cab side out. Spinning it helps when pulling it out. Make sure its disconnected on both ends.

I went through this last weekend. Cable is getting replaced as the lube job did not help much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ