Chevrolet 1991 Squarebody 3+3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My boy painted my 66 Nova 21 years ago with Glasurit and it still looks new. Been inside though that always helps.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard, the truck looks pretty solid.

As mentioned your truck is a 1991 V3500 you can either order parts for those or a 1987 K30 if you see the parts guys are a bit underinformed.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
:welcome:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
Got a couple hours in today, was able to pull the clutch, the rest of the front bumper (sawzall to get the rusted bolts off) rear bumper and I’m just four friends away from lifting the bed off. As I’m pulling it apart I guess I’m planning the restoration as I go. Here are some thoughts and please ad your advice as you are willing.
1) Disk brakes on the rear. More on that later...
2)lift kit (coil over or leaf spring)
3) Drive shaft (it has that supporting bearing in the middle, how does that work with a lift?)
4) Plan is to get everything that will get outer color paint off and up to someone who can soda blast it, then prime and paint right away. Well that is underway, have axles, frame over for sandblasting and paint and well that is underway, have the transmission, transfer case inspected and serviced, maybe restored, the engine built (planning on a 383) and then the process of trying to remember what goes where.

You must be registered for see images attach

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
So one of the things I’m wondering about is the brakes... Seems like there is a block up on the front frame cross member and long lines that go to the back. If I convert it to disk brakes does any of that change? It is attached to the frame so for my plan to work I intend to pull it off. And I hope to get the master cylinder off the firewall for paint.

Also, what is this? It sits on the passenger side top of the rear differential, appears to have brake lines into and out of it plus a control arm, but that appears to be attached to something that doesn’t move, or at least I was unable to...

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The last couple pics is a load sensing valve. Most people ditch it.

As far as disc conversion, you’ll want to change the brake proportioning valve on the front cross member to a four wheel disc unit. Check my build thread for details.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I made a wood dolly that was the same height as my frame. My neighbor and I were able to just slide the bed off and onto the dolly. Since I built it with casters, I could roll it around.

The valve at the rear axle is a height sensing proportioning valve for the rear brakes (early idea of ABS). I've bypassed it in 3 trucks now. You may talk to @Frankenchevy . I believe his truck had the valve in there with rear discs prior to his current tear down.

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
Thank you! The brake proportioning valve is what sits on the front fame cross member?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Beware of just ditching it. My Suburban had violent lockup issues when it didn't have that valve. YMMV.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You’ll definitely want to swap to an all disc prop valve that doesn’t have a residual valve on the rear axle output. The residual pressure can leave your pads resting on the rear rotors, possibly causing warpage.

I’m assuming your truck is hydro boost so you should have decent pressure. Per @Blue Ox ’s advice, I’d install an inline adjustable valve somewhere easily accessible between the front prop valve and rear axle tee. Adjust it accordingly. You’ll probably be able to adjust it with the least amount of wear and tear in a gravel parking lot.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Here’s a picture of my height (load) sensing valve delete when I was redoing my brake lines, so you can start to get an idea. I reused the bracket the rear axle T was mounted to. I just removed the valve and armature that was attached to it. My flex line is a bit longer than oem which I’ve since swapped out for one a few inches shorter, but you get the idea.

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
That is nice work, hope mine can look something like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK