Chevrolet 1991 Squarebody 3+3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
Mr. Frankenchevy,
What week did you do to your axles to clean them up like that? Will it stand up to salty roads or our local favorite, mag-chloride?
Thanks

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mr. Frankenchevy,
What week did you do to your axles to clean them up like that? Will it stand up to salty roads or our local favorite, mag-chloride?
Thanks
I wire wheeled and sanded them to bare metal, used phosphoric acid to neutralize the metal overnight, 3M pad scrubbed with dawn soap and water the next day, shot rust oleum rusty metal primer with an HVLP gun, waited for a decent cure, scuffed the primer with 3M pad and soapy water again, then painted with rust oleum professional high performance semi-gloss enamel through the HVLP. You want the stuff in a gallon can. The rattle can version isn’t the same.

I’m not sure about salt or mag chloride. Cal-trans is only allowed to use sand out here. Salt and inorganic de-icers aren’t allowed. I know what you mean about the nasty stuff though. My cousin I lived with in Colorado lives in Michigan now. He told me about the de-icer unions and how they’ll treat the road whether or not it’s necessary just to get paid. Add that to the list of why I dislike unions. He said his 5 year old Cummins is already thrashed. Although he did mention some kind of coating they can do but it is expensive. I can ask if you’re interested.

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
Question
What do I do with the wiring harness? Try to keep intact? Is it easy to replace?
Also, the master cylinder/brake lines? Just start disconnecting it? The plan s to use as much new/reman stuff that I can so I guess I can just start pulling it apart. Are there parts that are hard to find or impossible to replace?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Question
What do I do with the wiring harness? Try to keep intact? Is it easy to replace?
Also, the master cylinder/brake lines? Just start disconnecting it? The plan s to use as much new/reman stuff that I can so I guess I can just start pulling it apart. Are there parts that are hard to find or impossible to replace?

All the brake stuff is readily available and really cheap. My 1-ton bendix front calipers were only $60 for the pair, nicopp lines and fittings are under a couple hundred, master cylinder was only $45, new prop valve was $50, flex lines at the calipers were about $70 all together, rotors were cheap and I swapped discs on the rear for around $200 iirc. All in for a new brake system minus the booster you’re around $700 including all pads and hardware. You won’t find a new rear height sensing valve to the best of my knowledge. If brake fluid drips on anything painted, clean it off immediately.

Several companies make harnesses, but mine was perfectly intact. Not totally sure on the three main sections, but I want to say around $500

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
I’m back! I got it all apart, located a gent to take over the upholstery, sandblast and paint the frame, and working on the axles next. Big purchase with off road design to do the shackle flip and everything else suspension related. Great moment when we start turning the ratchet the other way!
You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Wow that's pretty. I think we need more pics to drool over.

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l

Benjamin

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5.7l
This is a hard time of year to work on stuff, mainly because it’s cold and mostly dark when I leave for work and dark and more cold when I get home. I hope to have it back on axles by the new year, then system by system start rebuilding. I doubt it will be done by the summer, but maybe 2020!

Wes P

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Posting in all LSPV-related threads for reference:

LSPV delete on '85 C20 increased braking performance.

Basic procedure:
- Remove valve, post-LSPV hard line, hose, axle bracket
- Measure, measure again, cut, drill, tap, weld stop nut on bracket (or add a screw)
- Release axle hard line from clips
- Install bracket, brake hose (180 flip), zip ties
- Bleed brakes

Parts: 2 zip ties.
Materials: brake fluid
Time: 4 hours, leisurely, without experience, being careful.
Note: Be gentle with hard lines. Plug the hard line after disconnecting. Don't empty the master cylinder.

Red 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5,K10,C20,C30,K30
Engine Size
How is thing going what's new??????

Latest posts