Cheap media blaster or pay a local shop to media blast wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTxK20

Reaction score
First Name
Colton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will be dropping my wheels off at the powder coater tomorrow afternoon.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Often wanted to build a tumbler with a washing machine tub. Basically the tub is mounted to a 4 legged base with springs. Then the motor is connected to the tub with a spring slightly off center. I looked for the video but couldn't find it. The highest cost was the media to put in it.

Google it....post if you find it it.
My old radiator shop repair guy made a sonic tub, with media for power plant turbine blades...
His was frequency tune-able... the blades were 7K a piece. He was going to make a fortune, when he got called to contract in Iraq and I never heard from him again...
His media was proprietary...
Darn shame I did not have a chance to copy his design... Loyalty can cost you a good living, I guess.

It was 4' tall, 5' wide, x 16" W and shook the crap outa the room when it was fire up.
I bet you could make one with an old concrete vibrator, from a pawn shop and fill it with corn or walnut husks, or the Black sand these guys mentioned... might take a few days...
Old set of springs might work, under the tank, so you don't wake the dog...

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, Martin, I'll remember that, in future. With the price of fuel, it pays to be as efficient as possible, living in a state this big. I was out playing some music at a funeral in Circle a couple years ago. That's a long way form Dillon.

Aaron
My brother used to play music all over the nation, a lot in the western portions.
Mainly bar room honkytonk dancin music.
On youtube or rumble, look up Ken Draper.
He now does a one man band thing.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Check your email...

John Joseph

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I have used a mixture of Citric Acid and water about a 3% to 5% solution for rust removing from steel wheels. I have had great success without the mess or expense of blasting. I have also used Bead Sealer (same as a Tire shop would) on rims that are pitted (steel or alloy) and it has worked great also.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@John Joseph I'm glad you brought it up,we were all so focused on abrasive rust removal we all forgot about other methods. I also have had great results with citric acid,better results with phosphoric acid,and even better luck with electrolysis rust removal. To do electrolysis you'll have to make a dunk tank,get some washing soda,some sacrificial rods and a battery charger. It's amazing I hate to tell anyone this just because so many people are going to tell me what I should have done why I'm stupid,whatever. Cam went flat on my mazda truck,needed the truck that weekend,no time to wait for a cam. Pulled an old cam out of my scrap metal pile which is outside,cleaned the rust off with electrolysis,put it in my truck as a stop gap until I could get a cam,it's still in my truck.
Here's a link,the title says for stripping paint but works for rust awesome.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Here's another link for cleaning Rusty gas tanks. When I first learned this process on another forumn,someone asked if this worked on aluminum? Someone replied with,do you have a bunch of rusty aluminum?

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wire wheel doesn’t seem to touch rust beyond the loose flakes, just starts polishing once you get down to that point. flap discs seem to clog up quickly and quit cutting unless you use super coarse grit. The paint and rust stripper discs seem to make short work of paint but I haven’t tried them on heavy rust yet.

I agree with @Doppleganger take them to a powder coater and have them blasted and coated in one stop.

I’ve gone through 700 pounds of blasting media this year using a cheapo harbor freight pressure pot blaster. Each time we blast we waste a bag of media before the blaster gets tuned and running right, makes a huge mess, and has about worn out the big compressor at the shop.

When I worked at a tire shop as a kid the local dirt track guys would bring me their bent, gouged, and rusty bead rims once they couldn’t get them to hold a bead.

A little clean up with a 3M roloc disc, and some light banging with a hammer followed by a heavy doucheing of Coppercoat head gasket sealer between the bead and wheel lip usually did the trick. They were a real MF to deal with the next time though.
I forgot about Coppercoat!

CTxK20

Reaction score
First Name
Colton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just got the wheels back from the powder coaters today. They look much better than they used to.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey