Charcoal Canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Those that have done the LS swap, did you keep the charcoal canister?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm obviously late to reply and I have not done the LS swap, but still I think I might have something useful for you to think about.

My #1 biggest concern about removing a canister is that as long as the canister is present and it and it's hoses are in good shape the system is closed. Other than when pumping gas the only air going into the tanks has gone though air cleaner, and charcoal canister, anything coming out is burned off. Once the canister is gone, you may smell fumes, like on a warmer day with fuller tanks. Or when night comes and temps drop the gas contracts and in comes the cold moist air. The charcoal canister not only holds those fumes but it help to keep moisture from incoming air out of the tanks. Since most of us are still running metal tanks, this is very important.

If you have a heavy emissions year truck with a spaghetti mess of vacuum lines to the canister you could order an older simple 2 or 3 port canister that would be much easier to hook up and still protect the fuel system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL