change from mechanical to electrical speedo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton

Reaction score
First Name
peyton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 suburban
Engine Size
diesel 6.5l na
I've done that swap. transmission needs to have a reluctor in place of the drive gear and a pick up inplace of the driven gear 700r4 the pieces are readily available, im sure they are available for the manual box or th400 also. You will also need a DRAC module its a little white box that is in between the sender and the speedometer that calibrates the speedometer. the pinout on the 86 cluster and the 90 cluster will be a little different plus you will have to add the extra speedo wire. All the clusters are the same size just hard to get in and out with the dash pad inplace, thats why so many get broken. One nice thing about this swap is it makes adding a later model cruise control easy

]

thanks C10MixMaster. as it happens, i've got a perfectly good cruise control on the suburban now. it looks like if i were to make the swap i would lose the cruise and would then have to come up with new cruise control. is that correct? thanks,

peyton

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
thanks C10MixMaster. as it happens, i've got a perfectly good cruise control on the suburban now. it looks like if i were to make the swap i would lose the cruise and would then have to come up with new cruise control. is that correct? thanks,

peyton

im not 100% sure, but i think the signal from the speed sensor is different between the 86 cruise III system and the later electro motor system(The output of the cruise III VSS Buffer Amplifier is a square wave with a frequency of 0.556 Hz/MPH, and the elecrtro cruise system uses a 4000 pulse per mile signal dont know how to translate that into Hz ), so probably have to use the electro motor system after the swap. here's a pic of my cruise control use a 90's pickup cruise module,cable from a 2000 full size van and custom carb bracket.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80