centering steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys how do you center the steering wheel? On my truck the wheel can only go on the column one way because of the horn button mechanism inside the column. Do you adjust it at the rag joint /steering box area? I can't remember if there is a keyed groove on the shaft of the box or if you can just pull the column off the shaft and stick it back on where the steering wheel is straight

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Set the wheels straight then count the turns one way then take it back to wheels straight and count the other way to make sure its your steering wheel that's off and not the alignment most likely its alignment which you correct with your tie rod ends

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Set the wheels straight then count the turns one way then take it back to wheels straight and count the other way to make sure its your steering wheel that's off and not the alignment most likely its alignment which you correct with your tie rod ends

Another way to say it: When the steering wheel is halfway between full lock left and full lock right, the front wheels should be pointing straight forward, and the steering wheel should be centered.

If not, the truck either needs an alignment, OR some previous owner or mechanic misaligned something between steering wheel and steering box.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Also - with 4wd you have the fore/aft drag link (between the steering gear arm and the knuckle).

You can adjust the length of that link and never touch the tie rod. Toe is therefore not affected.

More detail: drive the truck and mark the wheel/column when the vehicle is traveling straight. Park the truck with the front wheels straight ahead (per your mark) and adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is where you want it.

K

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also - with 4wd you have the fore/aft drag link (between the steering gear arm and the knuckle).

You can adjust the length of that link and never touch the tie rod. Toe is therefore not affected.

More detail: drive the truck and mark the wheel/column when the vehicle is traveling straight. Park the truck with the front wheels straight ahead (per your mark) and adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is where you want it.

K

Yeah, See the truck doesn't pull one way or the other, just the steering wheel is off and my turn radius is greater when turning to the right than it is when left.

I tried to correct that by removing the drag link from the pitman arm, turning to the wheel to and fro and tried to guess center, then locked the wheel and adjusted the drag links to the now centered pitman arm. I helped it but it still suffers from ****** left turn radius.

Ill have to try again in the next few days, Imfinishing up new balljoints, and my tie rod ends and drag links should be here soon. Then Ill get it aligned

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

K

If you rely upon adjusting the drag link to straighten the steering wheel you risk being able to turn sharper one way vs the other. I recently installed Jeep shaft. Set my toe, then balanced the left stop/right stops via drag link not caring where the steering wheel was. With turns balanced & front wheels pointed straight, pulled old steering shaft, turned steering wheel ~1/2 turn to get it straight, installed splined Jeep shaft, have never looked back.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah, See the truck doesn't pull one way or the other, just the steering wheel is off and my turn radius is greater when turning to the right than it is when left.

I tried to correct that by removing the drag link from the pitman arm, turning to the wheel to and fro and tried to guess center, then locked the wheel and adjusted the drag links to the now centered pitman arm. I helped it but it still suffers from ****** left turn radius.

Ill have to try again in the next few days, Imfinishing up new balljoints, and my tie rod ends and drag links should be here soon. Then Ill get it aligned

Usually this happens when the drag link is adjusted too short. It can also happen when your drag link isn't parallel to the road. Lifted trucks angle the drag link and essentially make it shorter. Do you have a raised steering arm on it? If so, it is possible the drag link ends are screwed too far into the adjustment sleeve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64