Carburetor linkage bracket for Q-jet 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i can say from experience you gotta be careful the chrome parts store linkage pieces (spectra if I remember right) there cheesy and bend, I stuffed a socket under it to keep it from bending

Good point, and that's important especially for a 700r4. If the bend throws the geometry off on your TV cable in the wrong way, it can destroy your transmission. So yes, I'd prefer something sturdy or OEM for certain.
And that is exactly why I'd like an OEM bracket if possible and I have a couple leads now so we'll see what happens. I have time to wait if needed.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
O can’t think of any reason one from a Olds engine wouldn’t work. Who cares if the factory bracket mounts to the intake, or the carb studs, as long as the distance and cable pull is the same. Olds never used a 700 trans behind their engines (different bellhousing pattern) but they did use the 200R4 with the same TV cable setup.

I would think the Olds bracket would be very easy to find. I’ll look thru my spare bracket collection and see if I have any.

No matter what bracket you use, it would be best to put a pressure gauge on the trans just to verify the pressure is what it’s suppose to be. A little time and effort now would be better than the time and expense to pull the trans for a rebuild after.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
O can’t think of any reason one from a Olds engine wouldn’t work. Who cares if the factory bracket mounts to the intake, or the carb studs, as long as the distance and cable pull is the same. Olds never used a 700 trans behind their engines (different bellhousing pattern) but they did use the 200R4 with the same TV cable setup.

I would think the Olds bracket would be very easy to find. I’ll look thru my spare bracket collection and see if I have any.

No matter what bracket you use, it would be best to put a pressure gauge on the trans just to verify the pressure is what it’s suppose to be. A little time and effort now would be better than the time and expense to pull the trans for a rebuild after.
I only brought up the mounting to the intake because i find it unlikely the olds 260 intake has holes in the same place as a chevy 350, let alone height etc.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
PO Put a Edelbrock on my truck before I bought it 3 years ago. The edelbrock is ok, but at some point in the next few months or so I'd like to go back to a Q-jet. I've got one rebuilt and ready to go, but I no longer have the original linkage bracket. I know I could fab something up or buy a universal and make it work, but I'd rather have a factory bracket if possible. My truck has the 700R4 and we all know how critical the geometry is for the TV cable. AFAIK any small block, with 700R4 bracket will work. And with the number of folks that have gone to other carbs and trannys I'm hoping someone will have one sitting around that they will part with for a small fee, plus of course I'll pay the shipping. Thanks.
what kind of bracket do you currently have by chance

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I only brought up the mounting to the intake because i find it unlikely the olds 260 intake has holes in the same place as a chevy 350, let alone height etc.
I’m pretty sure the bolt spacing between Olds and Chevy are completely different. I doubt you could easily modify the Olds bracket to fit a Chevy (or the other way around).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, Olds would have used it for the Th350 and the 200-4R.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’m pretty sure the bolt spacing between Olds and Chevy are completely different. I doubt you could easily modify the Olds bracket to fit a Chevy (or the other way around).
youre confusing me lol.

The line you said about olds, lol. I showed for the sake of example of hotrod mentioning the possibility they had some.
So I said that.
I guess I was saying that one appears to have the carburetor as a mounting spot, for at least one part of it. Since that is a dualjet manifold early style, the base is the same outer size as a QJET Iirc such that it would place the bracket correcttly, theroetically, but it is for a th350 ultimately. Well, not th350. Whatever a 1980 cutlass would have hadm that appears like a tv cable yet is not a tv cable(350 kickdown that is special or maybe th250 ).. anywyayyyyy, I assumed you were talking to or referencing either hotrod or myself lol.

Im still kinda confused but thats okay. Crazy times we live in

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Now that I think of it, would an intake bolted bracket for an olds 260 work on ANY olds motor or would it itself be limited to a 260? if i rememebr right, the intake is different. Or was that the port sizes and locations... **** too much internet for today.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

When the time comes I will likely ask you to coach me a little bit on that. I also have minor shifting issue I've wanted to pick you brain on on of these days.

what kind of bracket do you currently have by chance
PO had a cheesy aftermarket bracket that was already bent when I got it. So I took the part of the bracket that the cable mounts cut it off and fabricated a mount that would hold the cables in the correct location.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
just checking in, it was a no go on linkage today, I asked and he didnt have it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am also aware of the bracket Robyn is speaking of that bolts to the back to driver side intake bolts. It's a multi bracket that also has a hole with a gromment in it for the metal power brake vac line to run through. Pretty sure there's also a stand alone bracket.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am also aware of the bracket Robyn is speaking of that bolts to the back to driver side intake bolts. It's a multi bracket that also has a hole with a gromment in it for the metal power brake vac line to run through. Pretty sure there's also a stand alone bracket.
I cant remember if I already said this but my current cables are the length for the manifold bracket. Yes that's right the power power vac line runs though at least some of those. I had forgotten about that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok thanks for trying I appreciate it. I'll try giving Jon a call next since he's practically in my back yard.
I just bought some wing window seals from him. He's a dealer for Precision seals as well. Seemed like a nice straight up guy, communicated extremely well and mailed them down to me same day, had them in about 2 days.

Another option, there's always guys parting out squares on Craigslist too. May find one there?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just bought some wing window seals from him. He's a dealer for Precision seals as well. Seemed like a nice straight up guy, communicated extremely well and mailed them down to me same day, had them in about 2 days.

Another option, there's always guys parting out squares on Craigslist too. May find one there?
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, my window channel seal, and wing seals are ok but not the best, so that'll be sometime down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK