carb to tbi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebrad

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So after reading about the limitations of carbs for wheelin and their obvious efficiency shortfalls I was wondering how involved/practical or would be to do a conversion? I know fuel injection requires way higher fuel pressure and a pretty intense revamp of the fuel system for most conversions. All the write ups I've read about doing an efi conversion have been for 4 cyl multi port injection like megasquirt or other stand alone setups. Can someone enlighten me?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Look around here a bit, it's been covered a few times. TBI doesn't have as high of a fuel pressure as a multi port setup, so you can use most of your current fuel system if desired. You can run an inline fuel pump, back near the tank.

reddouble86

Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Camper Special Dually
Engine Size
454/SM465
Howell fuel injection makes a kit for the swap.

thebrad

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll do some digging on here. I made it through 2 pages of threads searching "tbi conversion". That Howell kit would be nice but its a little pricey. I could just buy a parts car for that much.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll do some digging on here. I made it through 2 pages of threads searching "tbi conversion". That Howell kit would be nice but its a little pricey. I could just buy a parts car for that much.

search ebay...good deals to be had.
you should also look around in the bone yards, if you find an 87 to 92 tbi truck with the tbi, manifold, distributor, computer and harness, i can walk you through the swap.

thebrad

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do you actually need the dizzy? It'd be a SERIOUS downgrade for me to swap out mine... I've got really nice ignition setup and I'd hate to see it go lol.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Do you actually need the dizzy? It'd be a SERIOUS downgrade for me to swap out mine... I've got really nice ignition setup and I'd hate to see it go lol.

No, you can make it work, but you would need to lock the mechanical advance, and the vacuum advance would go too. The timing is controlled by the ECM.
Still no biggy.
Have you looked into Holly's truck avenger...just sayin, if you like your setup the way it is now power wise, and bogging out is the only issue, i have heard a lot of good stuff about that carb.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04