Cant remove hub. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Whats the torque spec on the inner nut?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Whats the torque spec on the inner nut?

I always go by feel. Iirc, it's something like 30 lbs with new bearings and races, then back off the nut to align the peg with a hole in the lock ring.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Haha no. I have the wrong 4wd socket. Its a 80 mile round trip to the parts stores

Wow man that's crazy! I got 5 parts stores within 2 miles of me.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Guessing that's your new baby in your avatar? Very cute !! Congrats !!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So curiosity got me and I dug further for the torque specs. I found a bunch of arguments. I know I have a dana book somewhere just need to locate it. Best consensus 120 ft/lbs for the outer nut and inner nut 50 ft/lbs and back off a 1/4 turn then line up the pin on the inner nut with closest hole on the lock washer. All these years I've been guessing I guess. Time to get back to the books.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Here is some carnage pics from the u joint failure. I dont think that the shaft is salvagable. It looks pretty bent to me. Trying to source a used one. The local u pull it has one but its buried to the hub. Didnt have enough time to wait for them to come pick it up before i had to leave to get the kids from school though. Hopefully im able to get back up there tomorrow

You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
What were you doing when that let go?

Mine were about ready to fail and just replaced and upgraded mine on the D44.

Perhaps you already know- but from what I was able to gather the U joint is a 5-297X but in the early 2000s Dana Spicer came out with a new version.... the 5-760X. Supposed to be a little stronger but more reliable.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/131-0212-5-760x-spicer-u-joint-jeeps/

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
What were you doing when that let go?

Mine were about ready to fail and just replaced and upgraded mine on the D44.

Perhaps you already know- but from what I was able to gather the U joint is a 5-297X but in the early 2000s Dana Spicer came out with a new version.... the 5-760X. Supposed to be a little stronger but more reliable.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/131-0212-5-760x-spicer-u-joint-jeeps/
I was driving the kids to school. It was right after a good snowstorm. I was on the back roads. All the sudden there was a bad bounce from the front tire and lots of grinding. I made the corner and stopped to check it out. It was still togeter at that point. I knew it was going because i saw the grind marks from slop. I took it out of 4 for a bit untill i got to another real bad drift. Popped it back in and went through. Drift was up to the hood. Hit it doing about 15. Had a bad shudder as i cleared it and stopped the truck unlocked the hubs and that was it

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I always go by feel. Iirc, it's something like 30 lbs with new bearings and races, then back off the nut to align the peg with a hole in the lock ring.

Supposedly you are supposed to do it by using the drag method on a beam Torque Wrench but I usualy just go by feel on the inner one. I know the outer one you are supposed to tighten the F out of it and people always think its supposed to be snug so it doesn't surprise me when you take a hub out and then notice that the pin is knocked off the inner ring and its started to spin off.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well all buttoned up. Upullit wouldn't drive their loader in the yard today so i spent most of my time searching for a jack to use. They had the brake rotor resting on a rim instead of the axle tube. Other than that it went like a breeze.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8