Cant remove hub. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Sitting here trying to get my hub off so i can replace my u joint. I have the cover removed but now cant get the hub off. I took off the smap ring.

You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are 2 rings, an inner and outer. Internal snap ring catches on the hub and the axle shaft snap ring which catches on the axle shaft.

It looks like you axle shaft ring is off, its hard to tell if the Internal one is there or not. You may have to pull really hard on the lock mechanism to get it out. Maybe apply a little heat to the hub to get it to expand a little.

Last edited:

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
It wasbthe snap ring around the perimeter of the hub that was holding me up. Thanks for the diagram

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Look in this area for a thin snap ring.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Found it. The opening was 180° from where you indicated. There was a decent coating of grease for me to dig around. Cant complain too much tho. I was kind of worried tearing into it that stuff would be dry and dusty from being a ranch truck in its previous life. But all seems ok inside.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Haha no. I have the wrong 4wd socket. Its a 80 mile round trip to the parts stores

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ive used a big flat screw driver and a hammer before to get them off not thats the right way but it worked.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ive used a big flat screw driver and a hammer before to get them off not thats the right way but it worked.
Thought about it. But my pockets cant afford to mess anything more than the u joint already lol. I looked at it a little when i was under there and im almost thinking that it is not useable. Ill post a pic of it when i get it out.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Generally, the outer lock nut is just snugged up to the lock ring. That will just slide straight out as it is keyed to the groove then the adjuster nut for the bearing tension. A 1/4" tip screwdriver will work in the slot and use a hammer on the stem to break loose. Unless, the PO or shop used an air gun on it. which is a bad thing.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I got the outer one out using leverage with a small pry bar. The socket i have is the correct size but it has the prongs surrounded with a flange so it keeps the socket from sliding down. I bought it for a ford i worked on a while ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Generally, the outer lock nut is just snugged up to the lock ring. That will just slide straight out as it is keyed to the groove then the adjuster nut for the bearing tension. A 1/4" tip screwdriver will work in the slot and use a hammer on the stem to break loose. Unless, the PO or shop used an air gun on it. which is a bad thing.

It's actually supposed to be far more than just snug. The factory service manual calls for some crazy amount of torque that I never remember what it is. I normally just lean on the breaker bar real good to make sure it's tight enough.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's actually supposed to be far more than just snug. The factory service manual calls for some crazy amount of torque that I never remember what it is. I normally just lean on the breaker bar real good to make sure it's tight enough.

Just looked it up and they said 160 ftlbs. Holy Hannah.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Good to know.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The factory service manual calls for some crazy amount of torque that I never remember what it is. I normally just lean on the breaker bar real good to make sure it's tight enough.
Sounds like how i tighten my lug nuts....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84