can seat belts be re-dyed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Asking if anybody has had success re-dying seat belts? Talked to Jacquard dye company, they said it can be done with their acid dye. The ones in the truck are faded. I know there are new ones available but mine are the dual retractor type and would like to retain them if at all possible.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes it has been done, I saw it on the Dodge Charger site. Used clothing dye. The issue is do you want to remove the straps from the metal parts (buckles) or will you try to leave them complete and just dip the straps while keeping the rest of the mechanism out of the dye. One method requires having the straps sewn back onto the buckles.

I have the same issue, I have a one year only model with dual retractors on my 74 Charger.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can you find the link? The belts are red but are only faded in the center where the sun beat on them. I don't need to remove the straps just dip the ends. By the way always liked Chargers but never owned one.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
It was years ago, but I just searched "how to dye old faded seat belts" on Duckduckgo and there are several videos, even mentioning the acid dye you mentioned. I'm sure if you change up the search, add vintage, classic car and you will get even more how to videos.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will do a little research, thanks

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@fast 99,

I have always taken the belts out and scrubed them with a brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid and they have always come back soft and the color looked brighter as well. A lot of times dust, body oil, and wear makes them look faded. But if you'll wash them real good with the Dawn and a brush, hang them up to dry you might be surprised with the result. Now I do have to mention that I did this during the Summer months when it was hot, and hung them up in the sun. And after they were dry they were soft again and they would slide right through the buckel like new. That old nylon gets stiff to the point where I couldn't pull them through the buckel anymore. But after washing they were fine again.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
@fast 99,

I have always taken the belts out and scrubed them with a brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid and they have always come back soft and the color looked brighter as well. A lot of times dust, body oil, and wear makes them look faded. But if you'll wash them real good with the Dawn and a brush, hang them up to dry you might be surprised with the result. Now I do have to mention that I did this during the Summer months when it was hot, and hung them up in the sun. And after they were dry they were soft again and they would slide right through the buckel like new. That old nylon gets stiff to the point where I couldn't pull them through the buckel anymore. But after washing they were fine again.
That's a really good idea, even if he doesn't get the same results you did, it's a good idea to start with clean belts so the dye will not be influenced by old dirt, oils etc.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Put a couple pieces in a washing machine on a short cycle. The did clean up but still faded. Going to try the acid dye. I tried dye before on a set of black Ford belts. Didn't turn out well. Not sure if it was the acid type or not.

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
The reason it doesn't work well is the type of material. The dye is locked into the material when made. Like plastic mixing with dye. Most will come off or get on your clothes. I'd like to see this "acid dye" a month after use.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just an fyi, in the early 80's I was into building remote controlled cars and most of the aftermarket suspension was made out of Nylon, we would use clothing dye to color the nylon suspension parts, we used some heat but not much because it would warp the nylon. You could get a scrap seat belt to practice on.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not holding out much hope this will be successful, but it won't cost much to try it. Going to take pictures before and after and post it here.

The driver's side strap is junk. Only place in the US that replaces the belting wants $235 per belt. Haven't had any success locating a used red one. The passenger side is ok just faded. Can completely change the interior color if a complete set could be located. With the exception of the kick panels everything will be replaced anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL