Can i drive 14 bolt without carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
any way you can make a cheap and easy slip yoke plug? I made one for a YJ t case out of wood, drive shaft was to twisted to use..

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If your only removing the ring gear just mark it and install it back on the carrier and there should be no need to have it set up again. Be sure to keep the side shims on the correct sides.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Full float 14 bolts have adjustment collars on the sides for the carrier , so mark everything , count the turns that you back off the collars on each side , split the carrier and install your locker and reassemble , done deal. If you are worried about it you can get some paint and check the tooth pattern yourself or take to the shop and have them check it for peace of mind.

When you are using the same gears and carrier and putting a locker in the carrier nothing changes , as long as you put everything back exactly how it came out.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok. I was more concerned BC I've heard that once you take the ring gear off to split the carrier you should have it rechecked

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Full float 14 bolts have adjustment collars on the sides for the carrier , so mark everything , count the turns that you back off the collars on each side , split the carrier and install your locker and reassemble , done deal. If you are worried about it you can get some paint and check the tooth pattern yourself or take to the shop and have them check it for peace of mind.

When you are using the same gears and carrier and putting a locker in the carrier nothing changes , as long as you put everything back exactly how it came out.
You're exactly right Rich. I guessed I missed it being a 14 bolt full floter. Great info.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Ok. I was more concerned BC I've heard that once you take the ring gear off to split the carrier you should have it rechecked

Agree!!!!! I have done three 14 bolts in the drive way and I always check the gear pattern with piant before I put the cover back on and all three have been spot on even after removing the ring gear.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Awesome. I'll just do it all in the driveway then. Where does one get a small amount of gear paint?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Awesome. I'll just do it all in the driveway then. Where does one get a small amount of gear paint?

They sell impression blue to set up gear's but I just use regular spray paint , let it set for a minute , rotate and check the pattern.

:cheers:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Bad idea. Wheel bearings are lubed with gear lube. You'll burn them up in short order without the proper amount of gear lube in the housing.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I'm just gonna reassemble everything at home and check the gears

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Bad idea. Wheel bearings are lubed with gear lube. You'll burn them up in short order without the proper amount of gear lube in the housing.

True , sorry I was just getting at doing it yourself and filling her up and you are good to go , not driving it anywhere empty , I should have made that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf