Can anyone school me on how the 73-75 k5 doesn't collapse on itself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
It only takes about two feet of wet snow to collapse a square cab that doesn't have the front and rear glass in it.
****, I'm assuming you learned that the hard way.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
****, I'm assuming you learned that the hard way.

Indirectly, yes. I now have a a snow wrecked cab on my property. It was delivered here this summer. My engine builder buddy who is also into square has been downloading parts on me. I got the cab with the ****** roof and it's a real shame because the rest of the cab is on great shape. It can be fixed.... but most likely I'll keep the cab for firewall metal or whatever. I have another cab with the typical Flintstone floor and no rockers but the roof and fine! Sometimes you just can't tell until the glass is removed. I've seen great cabs but the windshield flange was gone.

I'm turning my new country home into a Chevy Truck Ranch.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
It wasn't needed for the 'half-top'. Cheaper, lighter, faster to assemble, gained MPG.
Whoop dee do.
.002 mpg?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I know the full convertibles flexed a lot. Most anyone one I have ever seen with an original top usually has a part of the top that is separating at the top corner due to flexing if it has been offroaded much

dcameron787

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I’m in the process now of building a 75. My original 75 was completely rusted out so I cut the windshield frame off of it, kept the doors and interior. I sourced a clean 85 and just cut the roof off it this weekend. I added poly body mounts and did not reinforce the rockers. I’m not getting much flex but will have to see once I get it on the road. The plan is to just add a roll cage if I’m getting to much flex..

tobiahr

Reaction score
First Name
Tobiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer 2wd
Engine Size
L59 5.3 swap
You would be surprised how flexy they are. Even the body mounts play a role in keeping the body from flexing. My friend 75 K5 I'm working on, the doors would rub the rockers (doors sagging) with the old body mounts. He put a set of new mounts on and the body lines lined up again and doors no longer rubbed the rockers. Driving it down the highway the firewall/windshield frame would wiggle/bounce. The inner to outer rocker connection plays a big role on full tops to as it is what connects the floor to the pillars, so when that rusts out it gets floppy
You must be registered for see images attach

I am currently working on the front end of mine and can tell you that even the frame flexes quite a bit as well. I had to weld a plate on the side where the shock mounts and you could see the bare frame flex just from the position of the jack stand

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
With the sub frame under my truck I'm welding up, and the additional tubing crossmember I'm adding, I won't have to worry about frame flex. It's more about the doors not closing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood