Caliper position difference front and rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I was looking at the SS and noticed the difference in caliper position in the front and rear.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see the caliper in front is on the right end the rear is on the left. Why is that? I was thinking that in the rear when you apply the brakes the centrifugal force would push the rear of the car down. In the front it would not push the front end down being mounted on the backside of the tire instead if the front side of the tire. Or does it even matter?

Because the 2015 camaro has both mounted on the backside of both front and back tires. So I don't know if it makes a difference between the two or not? Like to hear some opinions on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just something that I noticed and got it stuck in my head now. Lol

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
It does to a degree. You'll probably only notice it in heavy driving conditions. I used to study books and engineering diagrams on how to set up race cars. On the front wheel placing the caliper in the front (9 o'clock) will increase braking but also increase a nose dive causing the car to plow, or go straight with the wheels turned, if traction is overcome. Placing them in the rear (3 o'clock) will keep the nose more level with only minor braking reduction. Roll a ball and drag your finger on it to slow it down, where your finger drags will affect how fast the ball slows down.

Same with the rear. Placing them in the front will increase braking and allow the rear to squat increasing traction in corners but potentially allowing the car to slide if you overcome traction.

Production cars use some race engineering and the rest is where it'll fit with all the other suspension components.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
It does to a degree. You'll probably only notice it in heavy driving conditions. I used to study books and engineering diagrams on how to set up race cars. On the front wheel placing the caliper in the front (9 o'clock) will increase braking but also increase a nose dive causing the car to plow, or go straight with the wheels turned, if traction is overcome. Placing them in the rear (3 o'clock) will keep the nose more level with only minor braking reduction. Roll a ball and drag your finger on it to slow it down, where your finger drags will affect how fast the ball slows down.

Same with the rear. Placing them in the front will increase braking and allow the rear to squat increasing traction in corners but potentially allowing the car to slide if you overcome traction.

Production cars use some race engineering and the rest is where it'll fit with all the other suspension components.

Ha I knew somebody here would be able to give me a good answer.

Thanks for the reply tube truck

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It also has a lot to do with packaging. Things like hose and cable routing are concerns that the engineers take into consideration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88