California Smog Exempt Diesel Prior to 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good News for the Californians with Squares. You all are aware of vehicles prior to 1975 are exempt from biennial smog inpsection. But so are Diesel powered vehicles prior to 1998. So find you a square that was originally Diesel and coded as a Diesel by the VIN #, then you put you a gas motor in it.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

I wonder if this means its also exempt at change of title and if brought in from another state to be registered as a resident. I am only concerned cuz I have this 85 K10 that was originally a Diesel and had been converted to gas. If I end up in So Cal again instead of AZ, I'd like to know for sure. Also, I may be getting rid of this cab, and recabbing this frame. I wonder if it might be worth selling to someone in Cali.

I now know, if I was living in Cali, I'd for sure be looking for me a CUCV. You don't need AC in Cali most of the time anyway. I never had a vehicle with AC in Cali, never lived in house with AC either for that matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54