Cab removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay84

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I decided to do a frame of rebuild of my truck its a 84 k10 long bed 350 4 speed I have the front clip, bed and motor and tranny out next step is the cab, is it just the 4 cab mounts? And any tricks of taking it of the frame without denting it all up? Will post pics of my build as soon as I can

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Jay. We like pics in progress too. Some pics before you started would be great.

Assuming you've got all your wires, park brake cables, metal brake lines and all things of this nature unhooked, then yes, you shouldn't have anything left but the 4 cab mounts. Someguys have used slings from a tractor, some guys have used a 2 post car lift, some have even hung it from a tree. We don't know what kind of equipment you have access to, or what you intend to set it down on. Many guys will make a dolly out of 2x4's and some heavy duty casters, and some guys will set it down on a couple of furniture 4 wheel dollies. Worst case scenario, buy a 12 pack and have a few buddies over for a couple beers, lift it off, have someone push the frame out of the way and set your carts under it and then set it back down. There's about 102 ways to get it done safely without tearing anything up.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You have some wiring to unhook and the steering shaft. I prefer to lift them from the bottom, then chock the cab up at the floor with 2 8' 4x4 posts on cement block pillars on either side of the truck. This is a whole lot easier if you can get 4 or 5 of your buddies to just lift it off. Otherwise it's a balancing act and a lot of use of a jack or 2 and some blocking.

Jay84

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks seems easy enough will post pics and a build thread when I figure out how to use the site a little better

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I put your pic in the forum Jay. I also noticed you deleted post. How about you teach C4 how to delete a post, and Ill have him teach you how to put pics in the forum??? Sound like a deal???

Jay84

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Haha sounds good to me

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had about 4 people help me lift the old one off but I didn't care if it got beat up. It was still really heavy with 4 people. When I put the new one on I had about 7 people help and it was a breeze.

Make sure you spray the bolts with some PB Blaster a couple days before you plan to remove the bolts.... do it once a day at least and spray them real good. That'll make it a lot easier to get them out. I had to cut all 4 of mine out (and that meant cutting up the floor in the front) but my truck was from Illinois and was a 1986.

Also I'm sure you thought of this, but make sure you replace the bushings at the very least. I would recommend all new components (try LMC truck... that's where I got mine).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree with sonic on this part. If going thru all the trouble and motions of a cab swap, at least replace all the mount bushings. I'd just buy the whole kit for the core support and bed too. This way you are more likely to have your body lines match up too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm