C20 Upper Control Arm Shaft Studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Upper A Arm Movement.

I got a video today. Its a video from a snapshot digital cam, so qualty sucks, but you get the idea of what I have been driving around on and why I want it fixed so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPEbt6PgB4

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I know this is a long shot but Can you remove the bracket the studs are in with out pulling the motor completely? From the looks of that video it wont be long and those studs are gonna pull thru the bracket

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Wholly **** dude, red tag that bitch. That is scary looking.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
They are great for the exhaust repairs and spot welding sheet metal, as far as anything structural hell no, might as well use JB weld.

I can see it on the news now.

A local Oklahoma man was moderatly injured from a 1 vehicle accident, the cause of the accident is still under investigation but we have word that he appearently tried to use the 2 part compound known as "JB WELD" to hold the studs for is upper control arm. We will keep you up todate on this story as we get it.

This has been another breaking news story from redneck reporter and now back to you Bob

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know this is a long shot but Can you remove the bracket the studs are in with out pulling the motor completely? From the looks of that video it wont be long and those studs are gonna pull thru the bracket

Or from getting hammered on everytime I hit a bump, they will break. Yes, this is why I tell everyone, NO, you're not driving my truck, its not safe. And its not. I do drive it to my dads, but on the highway at 75-100 and not hitting any bumps I don't wory to much. But it does not appear there is any danger so far of them pulling thru. They still look solid on the back side. But sure, left alone long enough I could see that happening.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wholly **** dude, red tag that bitch. That is scary looking.

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said its dangerous. Left front wheel can do just about whatever it wants. Its hell when the left the tire grabs a rut in the road, and I have to jerk the wheel to the right just to pull it out of the rut. I rarely drive in the slow lane on the hwy since truckers have the slow lane kinda wore to a light ditch and the front end is all over the place.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can see it on the news now.

A local Oklahoma man was moderatly injured from a 1 vehicle accident, the cause of the accident is still under investigation but we have word that he appearently tried to use the 2 part compound known as "JB WELD" to hold the studs for is upper control arm. We will keep you up todate on this story as we get it.

This has been another breaking news story from redneck reporter and now back to you Bob

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::crazy: :flipthebird:

What the hell is wrong with trying JB Weld??? Duct tape didn't hold it !!! :happy175:

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:lol: that was for the "best mod ever" **** face

Funny, you're the only one that's ever said that to me. I have a feeling you just might be trying to be an asskisser. :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
unless you can get bare metal i doubt the HF welder is gonna do much good. i am not big on the flux 110 welders anyhow.

They are great for the exhaust repairs and spot welding sheet metal, as far as anything structural hell no, might as well use JB weld.

Yeah, I just got that cheap wire feed welder for doing spot welds on body panels. It was on sale for $89, then I had a 20% off coupon, so for $65 with tax and all I couldn't pass it up to try it for body work. And it came with a spool of wire too, that itself was worth $20, so I went for it. I think I just might try a differant welding rod. All I have to do, is get the damn stud to stay still so I can loosen the nuts put the shims in, and retighten, then all is well. Then I'll take it down and have an algiment done after I replace all the tie rod ends, idler arm and drag link. I have all those parts already, just want to fix this, install those parts, get an alighment, and its gonna drive like a new truck after thatl, But yeah, as the video's show, its pretty unsafe right now.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
What are you using to weld on this project, Arc or mig?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What are you using to weld on this project, Arc or mig?

I've got both. A couple days ago, I tried the wire feed. It just put pimples on the studs. No good at all. Today I was using the stick welder. 6013 welding rods, first at 75 amp as to not be to hot and burn holes in the frame and trash the truck, but C4 had mention 90 or the rod would stick and not flow. he was right. So I cranked it up to 90, and the rod was flowing well, it just wouldn't stick to anything.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I fear for your safety now so I vote you take a city bus all the way to your local welding supply store for a new box of 7018.

Its a real pain in the ass to do any kind of really technical/tricky/confined welds with arc welders since you have to strike the electrode like a match before you can see through your hood.

Crank up your arc welder all the way up, and use the 7018. I swear by it, its really tough rod.

I recall a couple summers ago we were removing old cattle guard abutments that were made out of concrete and weighed an easy 3,000 pounds a piece. The concrete structures had about an inch of half inch rebar sticking out of the top and I welded a bolt with an eyelet to the re bar using 7018 and it held all the weight. Its really tough ****, if you can scab even just 1/4 of the studs head diamter on there it will hold up to some torque.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
12turnda