Bypassing ESC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan.johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 lwb
Engine Size
I went to install a new hei distributor today and had the unpleasant experience of learning what electronic spark control is. I've already bought a HEI distributor and would like to install it, from what I've read I can just ignore the wire harness, my question is do I need to bridge the two pink wires that run from the esc module to the other pink wire?

Also when I discovered the esc I became suspicious if my truck actually was converted to a 350 engine as the p.o. said, so I spent far too much time searching for the vin.
I finally found the casting number on the drivers side (4010207- no 1 in the front like every numbers list I can find says). Is there any reason it wouldn't have the vin stamp on the front passenger side?

thanks for the help.
-Ryan

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
To remove esc and put new distributor in, all you should need to do is just plug hot to BAT terminal on the new distributor, nothing needs to connect to the esc module. As far as the block, it is possible to not have vin stamped on the front passenger if the block was either warranty block or replacement over the counter block. more than likely 4010207 really has a 1 in front of it, which should point to a 350

ryan.johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 lwb
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

http://imgur.com/UeSv7xv

Heres a pic I got of the casting number.

Do I need to splice the two pink wires together that go to the cap or are they fine as is? They both go to the same connector.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope, you simply install the HEI dizzy... done. You can leave the ESC harness, cut it off, remove the whole thing or whatever you see fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45