Bye Bye Optima

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
After having 2 Optima batteries (one red top, one yellow top) in 2 separate vehicles fail after about a year I decided the heck with that brand and went with an Odyssey Extreme. Pricey but have generally excellent reviews, made in USA (Optima closed their US plant several years ago and moved manufacturing to Mexico) and hopefully won’t leave me stranded in the Food Lion parking lot for many years.

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had the same issue with 2 red tops. Both were just over 2 years old; warranty is 2 years. So not much different than tossing $500 in the fireplace.

Something changed with the way they are constructed. Got great service out of them up to that point.

At the time couldn't afford 2 Odysseys. Bought FVP. So far, they are fine. Will see long term.

A friend uses Odyssey in collector cars and swears by them.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Looks clean under the hood!
I’ve always used OE batteries, Honda, Mopar or Delco in this case, just seems proper. I have motorcycles and the last thing you want is a defective battery

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When Optima was the thing 10 yrs ago, we had 2 of them and they had 7yr warranties. The next gen dropped to 3yr and the one in my wife's car failed in 2. For the $$ they wanted, I quit using them.

I used to use Interstates but the last 4 I have bought at Costco, 3 have gone back. So I dont know if they're a cheaper quality (like Wal Mart does with electronics) to keep a price point or what. One of my DDs has a newer green top Interstate and its been great. Our other car came with a new DieHard Gold (?!) - no idea where that came from. Its been awhile but I never had issues with Eveready (Exide / WalMart). Those were the batteries fishing trawlers swore by. No idea where they're made anymore either.

Who sells Odyssey?

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Looks clean under the hood!
I’ve always used OE batteries, Honda, Mopar or Delco in this case, just seems proper. I have motorcycles and the last thing you want is a defective battery
I'm not necessarily good about that, but I do agree opening the hood on one of our old trucks and seeing an ACDelco battery in there makes me feel good. Right now I've got a NAPA battery the PO put in there, but it's getting weak. The cold temps we have had lately as it slowly cranked over this morning I wondered if it would fire off but it did. So thanks for that reminder.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
When Optima was the thing 10 yrs ago, we had 2 of them and they had 7yr warranties. The next gen dropped to 3yr and the one in my wife's car failed in 2. For the $$ they wanted, I quit using them.

I used to use Interstates but the last 4 I have bought at Costco, 3 have gone back. So I dont know if they're a cheaper quality (like Wal Mart does with electronics) to keep a price point or what. Its been awhile but I never had issues with Eveready (Exide / WalMart). Those were the batteries fishing trawlers swore by. No idea where they're made anymore either.

Who sells Odyssey?
I have wondered the same thing with interstate. Initially the costco batteries and the batteries we carry at the shop had slightly different cases and marking. And initially I was seeing the costco ones failing early while the normal ones seemed to be holding up. Now the ones we carry at the shop look just like the ones sold at costco and our warranty rate is up. We still have interstate batteries sitting on the rack, but there is a wholesale place just down the street that carries ACDelco batteries so we have for all intents and purposes switched to selling ACDelco batteries.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Your photo caught my interest. Please post pics of your truck. Year/model please. Looks clean!

PartyMarty

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My optima is on year 3, no issues no matter how long it sits. Now I am concerned haha

Also +1 on more photos! Looks great

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
The wife calls me The Researcher, lol. I did a lot of reading before selecting the Odyssey battery and it seemed clear that Optima was once an excellent battery, but something changed. It’s probably no coincidence the change corresponds to the buyout and moving manufacturing to Mexico. Different tooling? Relaxed specifications? Volume versus quality decisions? Who knows.........

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Your photo caught my interest. Please post pics of your truck. Year/model please. Looks clean!
It’s pretty clean! 1987 Sierra Classic, 350 tbi, 700R4, 8’ bed. Driven on dry days. Original paint except for hood. No rust. I posted some info and pics on the “What did you pay for square” thread, but here are a few. Still waiting on dash kit from USA-1.......ordered it in July!

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Doppelgänger, you can buy Odyssey batteries on line or at Autozone stores. Bought mine at the local Autozone. They do not have them on display but are in the back on the shelf so you have to ask. At least that’s how it is at this Autozone.

Heavy battery. Mine was right at 50 lbs which I figured was a good indication of its build.

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Nice truck and odyssey is an excellent battery

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have an optima in my C10, been in there since 07! It's definitely one from before the buyout/move. I can't really complain about it but anyone I've known with one since about 2010-2012 hasn't gotten anywhere near the life out of one like I have. I haven't done anything special with it to keep it going either.

Now that I've bragged about it, it will fail next week I bet :doh2:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave