Busted 700r4 Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I generally use D at 50 and below, or up to about 60 if it's a bit hilly. But on level ground, I get better highway mileage in OD. It's currently 33's and 3.73. Stock was 235/75's with 3.42's, but it had 31's on it when I got it. Well, they were called 31's but they measured smaller than 30".

Yep, they are just under 30 sitting in the driveway, but being a Radial tire that grows with centrifical force, its probably 31 by the time you get to about 35-40mph.
So is this a carbed motor? You have so damn many trucks, I don't which one were talking about. Sometimes you can be going about things the wrong way. You know the CC lock up is controlled by a Vac switch if its not TBI. If you were to make some changes to your motor to increase mid range power, and the motor didn't strain and lose vacuum, you woudln't have this CC lock up in and out near as much. I really wish someone would invent that vac switch to be adjustable like they are the vac modualtor on Th350 and Th400's. That's not to say thogh, that you still passing that strain onto the trans. Honestly though, I think an RV cam would increase low to mid range power where you're not putting as much strain on the motor at mid range, therefore the vac drop woudln't be enough to shut off the lock up feature, keeping the trans cooler and in the long run, cooler trans equates to longevity.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
that's a good attitude to have. the small shops need more support

Damn Right it is. I get sick of these Walmart like big money corps taking out the little guys. And the fact they made it right and no run around at all. Those are the places you tell people about, even if they did fugg one up be it their fault or not. You know damn good and well if it were a GM Stealership there would have been some additional charges involved and it would have been buckets fault it broke like that.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Damn Right it is. I get sick of these Walmart like big money corps taking out the little guys. And the fact they made it right and no run around at all. Those are the places you tell people about, even if they did fugg one up be it their fault or not. You know damn good and well if it were a GM Stealership there would have been some additional charges involved and it would have been buckets fault it broke like that.
sad but true

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, they are just under 30 sitting in the driveway, but being a Radial tire that grows with centrifical force, its probably 31 by the time you get to about 35-40mph.
So is this a carbed motor? You have so damn many trucks, I don't which one were talking about. Sometimes you can be going about things the wrong way. You know the CC lock up is controlled by a Vac switch if its not TBI. If you were to make some changes to your motor to increase mid range power, and the motor didn't strain and lose vacuum, you woudln't have this CC lock up in and out near as much. I really wish someone would invent that vac switch to be adjustable like they are the vac modualtor on Th350 and Th400's. That's not to say thogh, that you still passing that strain onto the trans. Honestly though, I think an RV cam would increase low to mid range power where you're not putting as much strain on the motor at mid range, therefore the vac drop woudln't be enough to shut off the lock up feature, keeping the trans cooler and in the long run, cooler trans equates to longevity.

Lol, it's my '88 with TBI. It's got about 175K on it now and the original 350 is getting tired. I used to have solid plans for it, but now that I have the '86 454 Burb the '88 gets used for different purposes than it used to. I'm thinking now I will just re-gear the current 3/4 ton axles and eventually swap in a vortec headed 383. Unless the motor dies soon, that will probably change my plans again. I currently only have three motors worth sticking in it and two of them are just stock 350's. It would probably get my nice genV 454.

...I think I need to make a list of all my parts and what the different trucks need, then maybe I can get my priorities straight.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Eh, I'd still like to think it wasn't anything they did wrong. It worked absolutely perfect before those parts broke and there were no vibrations or anything. There's no chance the metal was just old and fatigued? This transmission has a hard life, in a lifted Burb with 33's and crappy 3.73's (yeah I know, shame on me) that hauls the family, luggage, and the occasional car trailer. It sees it's share of weight to haul around.

At any rate, I will continue taking my stuff to the same tranny shop. It's a nice little family owned shop and they seem (to me) to really know their stuff. They've rebuilt other stuff for me and I've never had issues with any of it. Well, except the 700r4 in my Camaro, but it was the motor and my driving that smoked that one.

I am not trying to say positively that they screwed the build up, Honestly if they have a good reputaion and you confident in there abilities and ther custer service then I would not take it anywhere else either.

If it was there fault then so be it they made it right and they are only human, everyone can overlook something.

And YES it is possable that the age of the metal along with the heat from when it went out the first time could have taken its tole on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am not trying to say positively that they screwed the build up, Honestly if they have a good reputaion and you confident in there abilities and ther custer service then I would not take it anywhere else either.

If it was there fault then so be it they made it right and they are only human, everyone can overlook something.

And YES it is possable that the age of the metal along with the heat from when it went out the first time could have taken its tole on it.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying in your first 2 paragraphs. But the 3rd statement. I also do agree in overheat and fatigue in the parts, but I am doubtful that happened in his case. When parts get that overheated to destroy the temper in the metal or cook it to the point its that brittle, the metal would have been very discolored that does NOT wash off in no matter what kind of solvent you use. I've got some pics of some hot parts that will never come clean. Those parts are the type you wouldn't want to reuse. :crazy:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels