Burb and K5 for sale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol, over time I've just accepted that rust is fact of life for a lot of us. I have no problem liking a rusty truck or car because I always see what it used to be and what it could be again... it's just that the road getting it to how it once was, is often a long and winding pain in the ass.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There really hasn't been much interest in the K5 so far. I know I said I wouldn't sell the axles without the K5, but I will sell the K5 without the axles. It would just be the body and frame. Cheap.

Midwest4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd love to have a supply for rust free parts around here. might give me reason to try and do some more projects. It's hard to want to work on rust buckets, I'm sure andy will agree on this.

I'm the same way, there's a lot of nice square body's where I'm from but the all multi colored lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd love to have a supply for rust free parts around here. might give me reason to try and do some more projects. It's hard to want to work on rust buckets, I'm sure andy will agree on this.

I guess that's how the cookie crumbles. Here was quite a few very little to no rust squares, if they survived the high scrap price rush, but we're short on the more sought after hard parts like NP205's and Dana 60's, where you guys have an abundance of those type things. Probably due to be pulled from rust buckets and saved for future use. At least I hope so. I still see to many 4x4 frames scrapped from rust without salvaging conversion parts. I'm going to have 2 rock solid 3/4 ton 2wd frames. To keep trucks with matching frame VIN #'s and Cab VIN #'s, I'd almost like to convert one of my C20 frames to 4x4. To do so I'd the need the spring hangers, motor crossmember & mounts, front core support and spring brackets, along with the rear spring shackle mounts for the front springs. Seems to me, all of that stuff could be taken from a rusty 4x4 frame.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
the dana 60's and 205's are hard to find around here to. all the guys building offroad trucks have grabbed them all up. I have about 6 extra dana 60's I have acquired over last 15 years. I only have 2 np205's for the 400's both are in trucks. I have even been bugging my transmission/ core buyer here in Midwest about buying all he can find. I'm sure I could sell all of them I can find for decent $$$ last one my brother had to buy and found guy got him $750 just transfer case

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know there's more value in Dana 60's and NP205's but I think sometimes, guys have more money than patience and if people wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices. Sometimes I think they even get overpriced to the point it makes other options look worth entertaining. There not cheap either, but I wouldn't be opposed to even using a Dodge AAM front axle in a square if I scooped one up cheap enough. To those who aren't aware, the AAM axle IS GM's Corporate 14 bolt Semi Float 9.5 axle. That is plenty strong for a front axle. When things become more plentiful, prices come down sooner or later and when they're are plenty of later model Dodge's in the scrap yards. It blows my mind to see guys pay $1000 for a Dana 60 front axle, then they spend another $1000 in king pins, bearings, seals and other parts and if they regear or add a locker it's even more yet. They've in short built a $500 truck around a $3000 axle by the time it's said and done. One of these days, I'll scoop one up for cheap when I have funds again someday. I had a chance to get one for $150 just 2 weeks ago and it was a couple states over, but I'd have spent the $300 in fuel too go get it. Someone else caught the sellers ignorance and it was gone in a matter of 40 minutes, but I was on it the second it posted. A guy was selling his 10bolt front axle about of an 80's 1 ton truck for $150. Yep, a Dana 60 has 10 bolts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, I think the market is dying off for our old stuff. The modern diesel trucks are all the rage now and I think it's going to continue the same. The wheelers are all modern jeeps now and everything can be picked out of a catalog for them, they don't have to steal full size truck parts anymore. The the mall crawlers all want to drive the previously mentioned diesel trucks.

There's been very little interest in my K5 project that includes m1008 axles and even an np205 if needed, all for what I've seen axles sell for. 5 or so years ago, it all would have sold in a week.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Eh, I think the market is dying off for our old stuff. The modern diesel trucks are all the rage now and I think it's going to continue the same. The wheelers are all modern jeeps now and everything can be picked out of a catalog for them, they don't have to steal full size truck parts anymore. The the mall crawlers all want to drive the previously mentioned diesel trucks.

There's been very little interest in my K5 project that includes m1008 axles and even an np205 if needed, all for what I've seen axles sell for. 5 or so years ago, it all would have sold in a week.

Distance kills deals. I can see the axles being a bit slow moving in the rust belt. Being that there are probably lots of part out trucks being parted. Priced right, M1008 axles would be gone in a week here. But also true, lots of people are going newer Diesel 4x4 Mall Crawlers, but they're usually Ford or Dodge, likely due to straight axle. I believe GM has really missed the boat in that market for years. I could see keeping the 1/2 tons IFS, but 3/4 and 1 tons should be straight axle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope, one ton axles are not common in Ohio. I've kept up on CL down here and they do not seem easy to find down here either. At least in Ohio, the trucks rusted and were parted years ago, there's really not many K30's left. Even the GMT400 trucks are becoming scarce compared to what used to be around. The early years of the GMT800 trucks are the current beaters.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, one ton axles are not common in Ohio. I've kept up on CL down here and they do not seem easy to find down here either. At least in Ohio, the trucks rusted and were parted years ago, there's really not many K30's left. Even the GMT400 trucks are becoming scarce compared to what used to be around. The early years of the GMT800 trucks are the current beaters.

You're right about 1 tons. I don't know that they are common anywhere. I know alot of Crew Cabs disappeared due to people robbing axles out of them for K5 Blazers. There are still some 1 Ton CC's around out in the rural areas, but man oh man are they rough. Not necessarily from rust, but just been worked and beat to death on farms.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A couple times I've seen an '83 or '84 K30 crew cab SRW here on base, it's still being used as a truck and is decent looking too. It's the only one I remember seeing down here. Every now and again I see one in Ohio, most seem to be duallies.

It seems that most of the K30 crew cabs are out in Washington, Oregon, Montana, etc. A lot of SRW.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A couple times I've seen an '83 or '84 K30 crew cab SRW here on base, it's still being used as a truck and is decent looking too. It's the only one I remember seeing down here. Every now and again I see one in Ohio, most seem to be duallies.

It seems that most of the K30 crew cabs are out in Washington, Oregon, Montana, etc. A lot of SRW.

I hear Wyoming has lots of Crew Cab trucks and most are used as ranch trucks. They're retired rodeo horse trailer tow rigs. A buddy says you can go rural areas and find them all over the place. Most a dually though.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Bucket, where are you? Well, how far from Nashville? Not to be too snoopy.
Still have'em?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a little ways from you. Currently I live in a cabin on Fort Pickett (bout 40 min south of Richmond VA), but the trucks and all my stuff is in central Ohio.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size