Burb 3rd Row Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Will an 2002 burb 3rd row seat work in a 83 k20, without too much effort?

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpeg
    IMG_9839.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 30

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Iirc, the mounts are in different locations. I can get measurements to verify tomorrow, if needed.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Are the dimensions nearly identical so the mounting brackets could be switched perhaps with some fabrication including welding?

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
mounts are different for sure, but you can buy aftermarket mounts to drill and bolt in the older burbs for reasonable ($40?). You can also scrounge the factory brackets from a yard, might need some extra washers to stack the heights right, depending on exact placement.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The early square Burb third row seats bolted into the holes in the cargo area. IIRC the holes have nutserts but not sure as it's been a few decades since I saw that Burb we had set up that way. By 1979 they had changed to a claw and striker setup, where the seat slides into the mounting slots. That continues through the rest of the square Burbs, and the 400/800 trucks are similarly set up. Family has had 5 square Burbs, 2 400s and an '06(800 series) Burbs. The third row usually comes out pretty soon after acquiring the Burb, and I'm the one who pulls it out(or puts back in if we need to haul people instead of stuff). So I have a bit of experience with these heavy bulky things!
I would say the spacing is probably a little different between series too. Also, the square body seat has armrests on it which the newer ones do not have.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The early square Burb third row seats bolted into the holes in the cargo area. IIRC the holes have nutserts but not sure as it's been a few decades since I saw that Burb we had set up that way. By 1979 they had changed to a claw and striker setup, where the seat slides into the mounting slots. That continues through the rest of the square Burbs, and the 400/800 trucks are similarly set up. Family has had 5 square Burbs, 2 400s and an '06(800 series) Burbs. The third row usually comes out pretty soon after acquiring the Burb, and I'm the one who pulls it out(or puts back in if we need to haul people instead of stuff). So I have a bit of experience with these heavy bulky things!
I would say the spacing is probably a little different between series too. Also, the square body seat has armrests on it which the newer ones do not have.
Yep, you are correct. '79 was the first year for the quick release style seat.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yep, you are correct. '79 was the first year for the quick release style seat.
I knew our '79 had it, and the '75 and '77 didn't. Folks took the seat out of the '75, didn't put the bolts back in the holes, and that's how we found out the exhaust had a leak or two. Those holes go clear through the floorboard.....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I knew our '79 had it, and the '75 and '77 didn't. Folks took the seat out of the '75, didn't put the bolts back in the holes, and that's how we found out the exhaust had a leak or two. Those holes go clear through the floorboard.....

Lol, yep. My '78 has the bolt in seat, my exhaust ends at the rear axle and I can't drive around with just the driver window cracked. If I do, it pulls the fumes right in. With a couple windows down, it doesn't seem to pull fumes in. I also have to lube the threaded holes from time to time, since the road spray tends to rust then up.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Lol, yep. My '78 has the bolt in seat, my exhaust ends at the rear axle and I can't drive around with just the driver window cracked. If I do, it pulls the fumes right in. With a couple windows down, it doesn't seem to pull fumes in. I also have to lube the threaded holes from time to time, since the road spray tends to rust then up.
The '75 was our first Burb, bought in '79 from a customer of our parts store. He'd bought it from someone who had it on a farm in central Texas, and that poor Burb was filthy inside, outside, under the hood, chassis....
There was a garage in Houston, Texas in the '70s, that specialized in Cadillac and GM vehicles. Don't know how many years he did this, but every year when the new Burb came out, he'd buy a half ton with the 454 and towing package. Then it would go to his garage, and all the 454, Turbo 400, and truck 12 bolt would come out, and prior year Cadillac 472, TH400 w/long tailshaft, and Cadillac rear axle would go in. Custom welding on the motor mount crossmembers and rear axle spring mounts....not the best, Dad had to reweld the crossmember. Story was, guy had race teams that would buy the Chevy big block stuff..... The Burb we had was a '75 Sierra Classic, with the Estate package woodgrain (actually in decent shape!) and the paint was gold metallic, kind of a honey color. Really pretty, once it was clean. Tan vinyl interior.
While we had it apart, we had to move our store, and find storage for the Burb. It went in a building we had built, next to his '75 Sierra Classic pickup. Many years later, both Burb and pickup got sold, too cheap, to pay back property taxes. The guy who bought them had the Burb outside, because he had property, but only a two bay garage. A storm came up, with a lot of wind, and a tall palm tree fell on the Burb. Taco'd the back of it.... He salvaged parts off it for several other trucks though, and I still have the Cadillac engine and transmission. They're going in an old project truck I have (if I can find the time and $$$).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84