building a roof rack for my burb.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
I wanted a rack for my for my suburban for a while now and never really liked the looks of the off the shelf ones, not to mention a lack of funds. So I figured I would build my own. I ended up getting a huge section of an old trailer frame. Its 1 inch, 1/8 inch thick square tubing. I've pretty well got the dimensions sorted out as far as the length and width, but still haven't quite figured out the height or exactly how to mount it. I've got a couple ideas for the mounts, but would like to hear everybody's thoughts and opinions. Its already got a couple holes in the roof from the old radio antennas so I don't have the hole virgin roof issue...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
:popcorn: I want to make a roof rack for my burb too. I had a factory roof rack and rear spoiler I think I'm just gonna build it around those mounting spots.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would take some 22 or 24 gauge sheet metal and use that for a mounting pad for each foot of the rack and use a rubber gasket between it and the body. Shape the sheet metal to the body contour. Mount your 4 - 6 pad locations then build your rack and set the rack on the pads to get the right angle ground off the legs, tack them down the remove for final welding?

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
I would take some 22 or 24 gauge sheet metal and use that for a mounting pad for each foot of the rack and use a rubber gasket between it and the body. Shape the sheet metal to the body contour. Mount your 4 - 6 pad locations then build your rack and set the rack on the pads to get the right angle ground off the legs, tack them down the remove for final welding?

I've got some angle iron that I'm thinking of using for the mounts but I'll have to get a little creative with the placement for lack of flat spots to mount to... also I wanna tie in to the ceiling braces where they meet up with the roof. Is this really necessary, or a little overkill? This thing is gonna be heavy as hell and I wanna make sure it's mounted solid.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's a good idea about the ceiling braces. Also along the sides of the roof on the inside there is a nice heavy flange that bolts the sides and the roof together. Maybe even tying into that and have your mounts just pass through the roof skin with some sealer around them. Pull your headliner in the rear and you will see what I am taking about. I am sure I have pics of that in my headliner thread if you want to look it up. That should be plenty sturdy enough to tie into.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The factory luggage rack pads are 36" apart with the front mount centered over the rear passenger doors. I carry 300 lbs. in the basket all the time but don't stand on top to load.

You must be registered for see images attach

My friend Chris has a custom rack on his that was made from 1.5" thick wall tube stock. His mounting pads are further out than the factory ones and he can stand on the rack to load. The pics are a little confusing because he also has his old Confer rack hanging in the carport. The new rack is flat with loops welded along the edge for straps or a cargo net.

The front mounts are about an inch longer than the rears to keep everything level.

Middle mount.

Last edited:

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Not a whole lot of progress today.. started raining and got cold as hell so I decided to retreat inside and play video games.. did get the headliner and trim out, and got all my measurements figured out for the mounts. Luckily all the trim is in good shape, the headliner... not so much..

Attachments

• 20150201_102248.jpg
    20150201_102248.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 1422838467133.jpg
    1422838467133.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20150201_102655.jpg
    20150201_102655.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 262

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
The headliner is pretty f-ed up.. both front and rear sections are warped pretty bad and the one for the rear has quite a few holes in it. I should probably replace it but, I don't have the $$$ for a new one and a good used one is gonna be a bit hard to find. So I thought maybe there's a good alternative that would be tougher than the original one.. any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus