Build thread 5.3 W/6L80e in a 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Hmm, well I'm not sure about the custom stuff, but my next thought would be that if there is a problem in the computer, it should be throwing codes or at least be readable with a diagnostic device. Do you have an OBD2 port hooked up so you can see if there are any codes? I would think even an el-cheapo code reader should tell you something if the engine is not happy.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are the front 02s installed? If not then u are in limp mode. Did they atleast modify your harness to be able to hook a LED up as a CEL? If not...as above scan it.

Also...These motors love grounds. The more the better.

Last edited:

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you have enough trans fluid in it?

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
OK, tinkered with it last night and got it to move. When I first started it in my garage I only put 1 gallon of gas in it, engine oil full, trans 4 qrts (yes, that was dumb). My plan was to pull it out just to get the oil moving and then fill it up with the last two quarts.

Well, being on an incline in the driveway with the front of the truck facing down and only one gallon of gas in it you can guess what was happening, I was starving the truck. So I borrowed a 5 gallon can put it in the tank and it still wouldn't stay started. It would fire up fine and stumble and the peddle was non responsive. So I had the thought, since it starts really stong, I will put it in reverse on startup and see what happens, next thing I know I am going in reverse. I put it in my garage, let the fuel level out and it stayed started and I could put it in gear. Oh ya, I also connected the O2 sensors and just kinda hung them in front of the exhaust manifolds.

Now it is in my garage till Saturday where I will take it out to the street to see if it shifts and test it out. Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've not been on much the last few days so I missed this. Am I understanding you have it running now after the issue with the incline and fluids?

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nope, keeps switching in and out of limp mode?? I thought I had it but it shat on me again and still throwing the red light indicating something is wrong. I think I need a new thermostat as it won't suck the water too good. Also, the fan won 't turn on, I let the thing run for 20 min and nothing?? I know they work because if I hook them up straight to power they run. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr! Mother f~€¥#^ son of a b|±€¤!!!!!! Sorry, very frustrated!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can certainly see why you'd be frustrated with the mother ****** son of a bitch after all that work but still no go. Soooo, it appears you had a tune done, and did I see that you left the trans out of the tune? Isn't it all controlled by one ECM or are the motor and trans seperate ECMs? Could the issues be in the chip tune???

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope, keeps switching in and out of limp mode?? I thought I had it but it shat on me again and still throwing the red light indicating something is wrong. I think I need a new thermostat as it won't suck the water too good. Also, the fan won 't turn on, I let the thing run for 20 min and nothing?? I know they work because if I hook them up straight to power they run. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr! Mother f~€¥#^ son of a b|±€¤!!!!!! Sorry, very frustrated!

If it is`nt full of coolant the temp sensor wo`nt be getting the heat from the coolant so the fan wo`nt turn on.
I was told that a long time ago, but, have never had the opportunity to test out the theory.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can certainly see why you'd be frustrated with the mother ****** son of a bitch after all that work but still no go. Soooo, it appears you had a tune done, and did I see that you left the trans out of the tune? Isn't it all controlled by one ECM or are the motor and trans seperate ECMs? Could the issues be in the chip tune???

The 6 speed is not controlled by the ecm. Need to drop the pan to tune these trans i believe.

You do have the factory 5.3 temp sensor stili installed correct? Driver side head?

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
HotRod, Yes, the trans has a separate computer located in the transmission. I am pretty sure you can access it through the computer port. Mr. Marty, looks like that is a correct statement, can I just take the top hose off the engine and poor the coolant it into the engine that way? Tanz, yes, the factory temp sensor is being used, it is located just under the driver’s side head I believe.

I am going to call the guy who did the tune and ask him what he did to get an idea of what to do. I wouldn't think not messing with the trans would have any effect on how the engine ran but I have no idea. When it was idling I actually drove it around a little and the response was not the best then went to crap. I would have it in reverse and had to get the rpm's up and then it would kick in, very weird. Anyway, here is a vid of when it was idling.

http://s735.photobucket.com/user/BC242/media/IMG_1202.mp4.html

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You mentioned the front 02s are hooked up, are they actually in the exhaust stream?

Check all your grounds again and make sure they are good. One from head to ground, block to ground, and make sure all the ECM black wires are tied to ground.

When it runs like crap, will it rev out at all or wont go above 2k roughly?

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The 6 speed is not controlled by the ecm. Need to drop the pan to tune these trans i believe.

You do have the factory 5.3 temp sensor stili installed correct? Driver side head?

This is not correct. The Trans is tuned just like the engine through the obdII port, just writes to the tcm instead of the ecm.

OP: get everything connected, filled, and ready to go so that you can properly diagnose things. With everything half connected/filled you're going to continue to just chase your tail figuring out what's wrong.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
OP: get everything connected, filled, and ready to go so that you can properly diagnose things. With everything half connected/filled you're going to continue to just chase your tail figuring out what's wrong.

x1000 to that. Get everything as close to factory as you can to eliminate as many possible sources of error as you can.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I will double check everything tomorrow when I get a chance, then I will be out of town till Saturday.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17