Build thread 5.3 W/6L80e in a 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
oneluckypops......where were you when I needed you...lol I didn't know anyone did wireing harnesses arouned Houston or I would have looked you up! Could you tell me the name of that pull-a-part yard, I have been looking for one of thoes for a while!!

I am still pulling 2 codes for Lean System Bank 1 & 2, any ideas?? Maybe fuel pump not giving enough pressure??

Thanks for the offer with the diagnostics, I will deff keep you in mind!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
oneluckypops......where were you when I needed you...lol I didn't know anyone did wireing harnesses arouned Houston or I would have looked you up! Could you tell me the name of that pull-a-part yard, I have been looking for one of thoes for a while!!

I am still pulling 2 codes for Lean System Bank 1 & 2, any ideas?? Maybe fuel pump not giving enough pressure??

Thanks for the offer with the diagnostics, I will deff keep you in mind!

I am thinking the name of it is "Houston Pull your Part". Its on 249 on the north side of Houston.

Yes I do build custom harnesses as well as modify OE harnesses for Repowers. I do not advertise the pricing or the services on here for a few different reasons. 1. Each customer is different in there needs and wants which dictates different pricing. 2. I am not a supporting vender of the forum so it is not fair for me to advertise. 3. All though it is my passion, it is unfortunately not my full time job as of yet!!!

As for your lean codes on bank 1 and 2. If the rear O2's weren't deleted in the tune, then this could be your problem. however I would think it would be showing a rich condition versus a lean.
Fuel pressure could be the cause of it as you suggested but given the performance of it in your video's I have my doubt's.
My first thought on where I would start looking would be for vacuum leak's, or quite possibly the plumbing on the air cleaner from the filter to the throttle body.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You were right, I had a leak on the intake plumbing, took care of it and the codes were gone!! Thanks!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
good glad you got it fixed...

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Lotsa great info in this one, added it to my list for when I find the right donor.

Thanks Fella's
'maro

Jesse

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I hate to ask this, but I'm really curious as a 5.3 swap is in my future, what's the approximate cost on something like this?

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi Jesse,
After selling my old engine and trans I am into this swap at around 5K. That being said, I had to pay someone to swap the engines out (I don't have the means to do it), bought a 2011 5.3 w/6L80 with 38K on it for $3500 (this part can be done cheaper), I paid for my harness to be reworked and for tune. Everything else I did myself.

Ben

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, you can certainly find a 5.3 and a 4L65-E for much less than $3500, but it'll certianly be higher mileage than 38K.

I don't think you got hurt to bad for a low mileage 5.3 and that being a 6L80-E trans too. As new as the 6L80-E is, I'm sure over half that cost was for the transmission.

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have $1200 into a parts truck for my swap. But after selling parts I don't need off it I plan on being around the $800 mark

omids350

Reaction score
First Name
omid
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That needs to be a positive at that stud. That would supply you the power to all the devices attached. I am using the same one.

I have 71 c10 with 5.3 and 150tune did my wires can u help me send me some info to show me how to hook my wires up to factory truck wires and how to do my relays and fan wiring plzzzzzz not very good with my wiring thx:shrug::shrug::cheers::Insane:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have 71 c10 with 5.3 and 150tune did my wires can u help me send me some info to show me how to hook my wires up to factory truck wires and how to do my relays and fan wiring plzzzzzz not very good with my wiring thx:shrug::shrug::cheers::Insane:

Welcome aboard. Really, we're not grammar **** around here, but geez, this gave me a head spin trying to figure it out. Throw us a period so we know where to start and stop plzzzzzz buddy.

omids350

Reaction score
First Name
omid
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard. Really, we're not grammar **** around here, but geez, this gave me a head spin trying to figure it out. Throw us a period so we know where to start and stop plzzzzzz buddy.
Sorry
I'm trying to finish my wiring on 1971 chevy c10 with 5.3 swap .i got my harness done by 150tunes ,it's 4 wire harness and it came with the small fuse box but not the relays ,I need help with how to do relays setup for fuel pump /fans/and other stuff needs relays,and what wires do I hookit up to on trucks factory wires to get it running...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry
I'm trying to finish my wiring on 1971 chevy c10 with 5.3 swap .i got my harness done by 150tunes ,it's 4 wire harness and it came with the small fuse box but not the relays ,I need help with how to do relays setup for fuel pump /fans/and other stuff needs relays,and what wires do I hookit up to on trucks factory wires to get it running...

Oh yeah, much better. Not that we can't figure it out, but many of us are fast readers and responders, especially mods who tend to know everyone and can put you in touch with the right person on the forum. We read tons of threads and try to in a short period of time.

71 wasn't doesn't really fall into Squarebody, but we have lots of members who like them, have them and know lots about them. If you want to start up a build thread in the Other Vehicles section, feel free. And with all the LS Swap guys we have here, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. Your option of course.

That site that Camaro sent you to, there is a ton of LS conversion and wiring info there. Just have patience and wade through it til you find what you're looking for. That guy who owns that site obviously knows his **** and spent a bunch of time putting all that together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84