Budget Build Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
I don't recommend the 52" spring conversion up front...then your dealing with castor angle issues that take some knowledge to get right.

Cheap.....either find something on CL or go Rough Country lift. I don't care for blocks but its cheap. For rear suspension, I prefer the shackle flip route with slightly longer shackles (about 5 1/2") and a zero rate/ez-inch.

Keep in mind with a six inch lift you will need new shocks (previously mentioned) and extended brake lines. 4", you can get away with modifying the brake line brackets.

If you want to go more flex in the rear, find some one ton 56" springs and shackle flip it. I have 56" rears and love 'em!

Just my $.02.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Keep an eye on craigslist for someone selling a 6" lift kit, I see them on my local CL all the time. If you can get the front lift springs you can use a shackle flip kit out back for 4" of cheap easy lift, then add a 2" block which doesn't have near as much axle wrap as a 4 or 6" block. Then you just gotta get shocks, which on the low end are around $40 a piece.

monroe's monromatic shocks run about 20$ a piece and come in a ton of sizes. if anyone wants cheap shocks this looks to be the way to go. id just figure out what the compressed/ extended lengths you need are, and check the size sheet on their website

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

just be sure the shock eyes are the right size too.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
i don't recommend the 52" spring conversion up front...then your dealing with castor angle issues that take some knowledge to get right.

Cheap.....either find something on cl or go rough country lift. I don't care for blocks but its cheap. For rear suspension, i prefer the shackle flip route with slightly longer shackles (about 5 1/2") and a zero rate/ez-inch.

Keep in mind with a six inch lift you will need new shocks (previously mentioned) and extended brake lines. 4", you can get away with modifying the brake line brackets.

If you want to go more flex in the rear, find some one ton 56" springs and shackle flip it. I have 56" rears and love 'em!

Just my $.02.

^^ win ^^

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
oh yea most definately.

I wonder though I've only heard maybe one guy talk about add a leafs up front. You can do that right? no issues?

Then 2nd question would be can you do an add a leaf(spring) and then put on the zero rate block?

i did the front add a leaf. for 80 bucks its a good deal. no problems at all

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
:33: :33: :33:

just doesn't make sense to me when i see 6in blocks on the rear of a truck. It just looks like i can walk over give it a shove and push it sideways off it's axle, and at the distance the u bolts are under more stress. i know it works, but i don't like it. And not only that, it looks like **** to me.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
If he comes back, I think there is a member on here removing a lift kit off a truck he recently bought. Remember he was looking for stock springs??? He might make you a deal and ship.

I already talked to him about it, he says hes gonna ask someware around 450$

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
lots of different ideas. my plan was to swap the 3/4 tons in and do a rear shackle flip with 2" lift 56s in the rear with some 6" lift front springs. my only concern is how hard it will be to piece the lift together vs. buying a complete one.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
lots of different ideas. my plan was to swap the 3/4 tons in and do a rear shackle flip with 2" lift 56s in the rear with some 6" lift front springs. my only concern is how hard it will be to piece the lift together vs. buying a complete one.

Fyi, 2" lift 56's are very hard to find (I've been looking for some for my K5). You might also consider a 2.5" flip and a set of 4" lift 56's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've already gotten 4 in front lift springs. Going from 52in rear half ton springs, to moving the rear hangers back to it's OEM 56in position, installing 3/4 ton 56in springs and 3in blocks and calling it good !!! I'm actually hoping I might even need to trim down to 2in rear blocks to make it sit level and if it does, I'll buy them, but I already have the 3 inch blocks. Hopefully that's good enough for 35in tires.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
jcwhitney or their website directly will usually let you buy springs by themselves.

now last I check it was cheaper to buy an entire kit.

4 inch kit, rough country, new shocks, boots, raised steering arm, brake line drop brackets, blocks and new u bolts out back, ran just a touch over $300 shipped.

set of 4 inch front springs ran like $200 by themselves.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Your going to spend more piecing it together. Your title says Budget Build Lift....your going to be hard pressed to find a lift kit cheaper than Rough Country. Get it up for the $300+ and you can adjust down the road as you find out that you will want better...lol.

My set up is RC 6" springs in the front.

In the back, ORD 4" shackle flip, 5.5 DIY4X shackles, DIY4X EZ-Inch and junkyard specials 56" springs.

The rear suspension I have well over a RC package lift.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe