Broken Driven Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Felipe Acosta

Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
307 5.0L
Hello everyone,
My speedo stopped working and when I removed the bullet from the transmission, the plastic or nylon gear was broken with the gear part still in the transmission. My questions: do I have to take to a shop to have that piece removed or can I just replace it and keep going? How hard would it be to remove the broken part myself?
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Which transmission is in your truck? For the TH350,TH400:
Pull the tail shaft housing of the transmission and remove the broken plastic parts, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't like to drive around with plastic parts floating thru my transmission.
Good time to check your rear seal and the condition of the drive gear. If one speedo gear comes apart maybe the other will do the same soon.
Remove driveshaft, remove tail shaft housing fix what needs fixing, install tail shaft housing, install driveshaft, check fluid level, done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If the gear is broken or stripped, most likely the speedo cable is junk. There is a reason you will never find both speedo gears made of metal, the plastic gear is the “fuse”. The plastic gear will strip before anything else is damaged.

Pull the speedo cable for inspection, hopefully it just needs lubed.

Felipe Acosta

Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
307 5.0L
Thank you for your replies, I will replace the inner gear also. I am also installing a new speedo cable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84