Broke a 4L80e mounting ear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah going to have to think about this one and talk to guys at work tomorrow see what they think (and see if one of em can do it for me or give me a good place to go). In a perfect world I’d definitely get it welded but that means loading into the back of the wife’s minivan, driving it somewhere, etc. And I think 99% chance that @HotRodPC is right and it won’t be an issue. But if I can find a good welding option that’s the way I’ll go - I just know I’m not that right option!

The good news I found when I dropped tranny: it’s a GM service replacement so at least it’s somewhat less miles than the truck (250k+). I had zero issues with tranny before I pulled engine, BTW. Ran awesome.

You must be registered for see images attach

I totally agree with your analogy there. If you can find a place to have it welded for a reasonable price and not a **** ton of work, hassle and distance I do it. If not, then I'd just do the JB Weld. I can promise you, I myself was totally surprised at the results I got. I'm not one to believe in witch potions but with nothing to lose, I tried it and was totally shocked at how well it worked and had held up and decided I'd keep it for personal use as a back up. It turned out to be my primary transmission I'm pretty sure.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
By that stamp code it was refurbed in 94 so yeah, it'll how a few thousand less miles on it.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Finally got the mounting ear welded up. A friend of a friend who owns his own business fabricating aluminum welded electrical bus work (3 or 5" aluminum tubes, basically) did it for me. He said it was a bit of a challenge welding the poor quality, oil soaked casting but it should be OK. I told him it really wouldn't be carrying much load. When I installed the tranny today it was the last bolt out of the six that I torqued. Everything went OK on the install today, although I must have sweat several gallons. 95 degrees plus today in my area. Used a tranny jack - made it much easier.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had someone willing to give me a transmission if I could fix the cracked bell housing, it was about 100 miles away but I thought about it since it was free, wasn't sure if it was plausible or not, or if I could even do it or find somebody to do it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had someone willing to give me a transmission if I could fix the cracked bell housing, it was about 100 miles away but I thought about it since it was free, wasn't sure if it was plausible or not, or if I could even do it or find somebody to do it.
Maybe not worth the drive or it not needed, but if it's a good transmission, never throw them away. Sometimes guys are looking for those cheap good deal transmission since they are going to have it cut and modifired for Super Bell anyway. Or, the hard parts are still good. I'd have taken a FREE 4L80-E cracked bell for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84