Brake Lines Copper or Steel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
What's everyone's suggestion/preference with Copper or Steel Brake lines.
Even though it's Steel they do still rust out. I've heard different from Copper....

Post your thoughts down below.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive heard theres a copper alloy of some kind that bends super easy and holds up well. Ive never used it but...

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Ive heard theres a copper alloy of some kind that bends super easy and holds up well. Ive never used it but...
There's a guy on youtube I watch. Does Property Mantaincene and landscaping etc.
said all his vehicles have copper lines and never once had a problem nor rusted because he's in New York and it's usually really bad there like Michigan. *Sigh* So I can relate. :)

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Plumbing copper yes. But there is nickel coated copper (sometimes called nicop) for sale that is dot rated. My local O’Reilly auto parts carries in in sticks right next to the steel lines. Can also get it in a big roll and make your own, it’s super easy to bend and flare. If you’re in an area of salt/de icer chemicals on the road I would only use the nicop lines. At least you won’t have to worry about ever doing them again.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Plumbing copper yes. But there is nickel coated copper (sometimes called nicop) for sale that is dot rated. My local O’Reilly auto parts carries in in sticks right next to the steel lines. Can also get it in a big roll and make your own, it’s super easy to bend and flare. If you’re in an area of salt/de icer chemicals on the road I would only use the nicop lines. At least you won’t have to worry about ever doing them again.

Yeah, My bad. I think it was nickel coated copper. My area still uses salt yes. I live only 1/2 miles from Lake Michigan so it's heavily salted here in the winter/spring time. I won't be driving my Square after its restored in the Winter anyhow.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like nicopp and stainless. The nicopp not oxidizing is one plus, but any flare nuts and junctions need to be non-ferrous for that to be a truly valid argument.

Nicopp is far easier to work with though. Especially if your flaring tool isn’t the best. When double flaring steel, it can slip in cheaper tools, whereas the ribs always tend to grip the softer alloys.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I like nicopp and stainless. The nicopp not oxidizing is one plus, but any flare nuts and junctions need to be non-ferrous for that to be a truly valid argument.

Nicopp is far easier to work with though. Especially if your flaring tool isn’t the best. When double flaring steel, it can slip in cheaper tools, whereas the ribs always tend to grip the softer alloys.

Good to know! Any good places online that are rebent for these trucks?

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I think summit has pre bent lines

Maybe LMC ?
I would guess & Consider Summit, I don't think LMC would carry something like that.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
LMC carries prebent for these truck in plain steel or stainless steel. They’re pretty good quality kits I helped instal one on a 84 k10 over the winter.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
LMC carries prebent for these truck in plain steel or stainless steel. They’re pretty good quality kits I helped instal one on a 84 k10 over the winter.

I Kinda Despise LMC over what I've heard from there item qualities. Wonder if there USA made? That's what I'm looking for.

Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Inline tubing is what I use they are in Michigan. I got all my stainless tubing nuts and rolls of nicop from them. They have kits just for square bodies too . They sell the stainless braided lines with the clear coating in any length you need .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli