Brake Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok so just the other night I turned on my lights, I notice my driver side brake light isn't working. The tail light and bulb is operational but my brake light wont work. So I turn off my truck, restart it, turn on my lights and boom!! The brake light starts working.

This has happened twice where the brake light will go out when I have my lights on. Then it takes some kinda combination of restarting my truck and turning on/off my lights for it to start working again.

Any ideas?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is it just the one side?

Could be one of a few things.

First thing I would do is pull the lens off and check the silver **** on the bulb. Over time the vibration and heat wears them down and they start to loose contact.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Is it just the one side?

Could be one of a few things.

First thing I would do is pull the lens off and check the silver **** on the bulb. Over time the vibration and heat wears them down and they start to loose contact.

it is on one side. I removed the lens and wiggled the bulb around while someone had the brake pressed. I cleaned the contacts the best I could but I couldn't get it to work until I restarted the truck and toggled my lights.

The truck seems cursed haha

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, if you are sure you got clean contacts and grounding at the light housing, next thing I would suspect would be something in the turn signal switch is wearing out. I don't think failure of one light would be the brake switch. And you got to take a look underneath. Previous hack job trailer light splicing can also be the culprit.

Or maybe a bad feed wire coming from the cab, but that is rare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay