brake hose replacement complexity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fumehappy

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
I have not done brake hoses before... I was looking at a set from inline tube:
http://www.inlinetube.com/#!product/prd14/2473746821/1979-87-pickup-1-2-3-4,-blazer-surb-2wd--ct1004

Do I have to empty the whole system for this procedure? Should I leave the cap on the master cylinder before I unscrew a hose so the fluid doesn't run everywere? Any other major gotchas? I've done some research on my own already but was just wondering what the general opinion was.
I was thinking about doing the rear hard lines too if The hoses went well.
Thanks!
~Fumey

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Bail out as much old fluid from the master cylinder before you start work.

Then start replacing what needs to be replaced, catching leakage w/ shop rags. Gravity will cause the master to totally drain out.

If you have access to a ac vacuum pump, some flex tubing and a gatorade bottle, you can easily purge the system by yourself once you have all the new plumbing hooked up. Easy peasy.

Almost forgot. Pro Tip #229 - When bleeding the brakes, NEVER mash down on your brake pedal with the Reservoir Top off. (don't ask me how I know this)

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I've used this brake bleeder kit, plus 20' of vacuum hose hooked up to the running engine. Sometimes, however, I rook a lackey into helping me.

You must be registered for see images

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Like the engine vacuum idea! Will not suck it down as far as the vacuum pump, but should get the job done in good fashion, just have to keep that motor spinning.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You can save some mess by removing the fluid from the master cylinder before you begin the work. I use a suction bulb to do it then stuff the resivoirs with paper towel to remove the rest. You will only have a small amount left over in the lines. If your hard lines are in good shape you can leave them. Take your time getting the hard lines loose from the hoses. Use plenty of penetrating oil and heat if necessary. Be carefull with the heat as it can cause the hose to blow out of the crimped end. Be sure to take the bleeded screws out and clean them out. Use antisieze on them when you put them back in. Many times the brake system will bleed by gravity. When you do the bleeding be sure to have a helped or check the master cylinder level often. If you run it out you start over on the bleeding.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
When I did this only a little fluid dripped out. Just don't go pressing the pedal with the lines loose and make things quick - you should be fine.

Also, if you are going to spend that kind of money on hoses, buy stainless. If I remember correctly they were not that expensive and they dramatically improved the brake feel, especially with the hydroboost. I'd highly recommend them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx