Brake Fluid In Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I want to get some input.

I have a '86 K10 diesel.... and the other day when I drove it around I noticed there was fluid on the brake pedal. I'm thinking it is the rear seal on the master cylinder but I'm not sure.

Could it be a bad booster? I'm not all that familiar with that whole setup works. Haven't had to fix it yet that's why lol.

**Edit - I should add that the entire time I drove it the brakes worked fine... the only reason I know something is wrong is the fluid that I saw on the pedal

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hydro boost unit has a rear seal leaking,time fora new or rebuilt.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Nope, it's what Marty said.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Aight. Why would that happen just out of the blue?

The truck has been sitting for a while so I guess maybe the seals got dry rotted or something. Now that I am doing some research it has to be power steering fluid rather than brake fluid in the cab. It was night time so I'll have to go back in and check later.

Thanks for the help.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Out of the blue? It's probably been leaking for a while. Pull the carpet under the pedals and check, you might have some cleanup to do.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah it is out of the blue. I just replaced the carpet and all and haven't really driven it much. It's been sitting since 2010 with the occasional start up and then last year I drove it around every couple weeks or so. When I moved back in January I drove it about 30 miles and it worked great.... drove it around a few other times more recently and then after this last trip is when I saw the fluid. I suppose it could have been there but I was just under there changing a fuse not too long ago, who knows.

Either way... I'll go take the master cylinder back and get the booster. My wallet is going to hate me. Lol

Is there any specific procedure for swapping a hydroboost unit out? I wouldn't have to bleed any lines would I? I would assume I could just unbolt the MC from the booster and swap it out then bolt up the MC and call it good.

Never done it before so I'm not sure

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The master cylinder was just changed like 3 years ago and hasn't seen much use. I don't need to change that too do I?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope,master`ll be good to go.
I think the rod`ll have to be disconnected from the pedal before the booster`ll come out.
I do`nt hink the master will have to be completely disconnected if there`s enough piping that it can be moved over out of the way.
Someone else more recently familiar with the procedure`ll probablly come in and correct Me iff`n I`m wrong.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay cool I''ll probably swap it out this weekend. For some odd reason O'Reilly's has it for 104 while Napa has it for 175..... same part number and everything. Weird.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Okay cool I''ll probably swap it out this weekend. For some odd reason O'Reilly's has it for 104 while Napa has it for 175..... same part number and everything. Weird.

I also got a blower motor from Napa that was same brand and part # as O'Reillys. Napa matched the price for me. Bad part was, O'reillys had a better warranty. That's how I knew Napa was slipping in quality. When they're carrying the same **** as the Big Discount Auto Parts, that tells me either Orelillys quailty is improving, or Napa is slipping. And I tend to think it's Napa Slipping moreso.

But, if you like Napa, ask, they may match O'R's price.

I've been seeing GOOD name brand parts at RockAuto for good prices. Check there too. You might be surprised. I have been a few times, and don't forget, we get a 5% discount. That helps cover the shipping cost.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I looked at Rock Auto too their price is 140 lol

HotRodPC

Administrator