Brake Drums Shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Who here has shopped for and bought new rear brake drums? Where was the best deal, what brand did you invest in? I am looking for a set for Silvy.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got a set of front rotors for My 93 K1500, about twelve years ago, they are holding up real good. I do`nt rememer whut brand they is, I got um from NAPA.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Rock Auto--------A/C Delco
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=109788&cc=1301230
I did`nt notice that these are five holers, they have more to select from, a whole bunch more.

Yah that's probably where I am going to wind up. They go for 90 bucks on eBay. Rockauto seems to be the cheapest for AC Delco.

Mine actually calls for the ACDelco #18B231 and they only have one in stock
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=109860&cc=1301410

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If for some reason you end up with drums from the parts store, you might have to get them turned. That newer cheap junk can often cause a pulsation.

So what's wrong with yours anyway? Too worn to turn?

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought a set of 2 from autozone for ~$140. Duralast brand and I like Duralast, nothings ever failed me before. It says on the box they don't need to be turned before using and I'll take their word for it and save my money.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just bought a set of 2 from autozone for ~$140. Duralast brand and I like Duralast, nothings ever failed me before. It says on the box they don't need to be turned before using and I'll take their word for it and save my money.

It says it on the box, but in reality, sometimes they need turned. Sometimes they are turned too fast when they are made and it causes the shoes to make an annoying thumping noise when you apply the brakes.

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Say that's good to know, I might just get mine turned after all...

That's the 1st set of new drums I've ever needed to buy.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If for some reason you end up with drums from the parts store, you might have to get them turned. That newer cheap junk can often cause a pulsation.

So what's wrong with yours anyway? Too worn to turn?

I'm getting a little hesitant braking in the rain especially with the boat behind the truck the front brakes want to lock up and the rears barely grab during a panic stop on fresh wet pavement that is scary. Happened to me last weekend. Just don't seem like they are grabbing like they should be. If I take the pedal real quick twice you can feel the rear brakes grab much better.

In the spring the linings and hardware looked fine. Seems like there is a good gap between the linings and the drum just by what I am feeling. The drums do have a heck of a lip on them. This is my dd so I want to swap them out. I can't afford the down time to be taking them to be turned if they could be. We'll see....

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you looked at your star wheel adjuster? It can stick and as your shoes and drums wear it won't close the gap up. This could lead to brake loss. Or could be old brake hoses expanding, or a leak somewhere.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Have you looked at your star wheel adjuster? It can stick and as your shoes and drums wear it won't close the gap up. This could lead to brake loss. Or could be old brake hoses expanding, or a leak somewhere.

LOL, i was just going to bring up the adjuster untill i saw you said something about it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, if you don't have pulsation, just clean and lube everything, install the drums, and then adjust the shoes out to take up the slack. Assuming your backing plates have the knock-outs for adjustment.

Say that's good to know, I might just get mine turned after all...

That's the 1st set of new drums I've ever needed to buy.

If your brakes work fine, then you don't need to worry about it :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I hear ya, thanks for the replies guys. I'll drive like a Paw Paw until I nail it down. I really hate adjusting brakes through the backing plate. That is another motivation to me for new drums. I will grind the ridge off the end of the drum so I can snug the brakes up as the drum fits on. And I will check, clean and lube the brake adjusters and hardware when I find the time. Phuckit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub