Body mount bushings recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm amazed this is new news to anyone. It seems as though the topic of ES red v. black bushings gets discussed at least once a week on here.
I remember something about it but not that it was Squeaky something about the ride with one vs the other. Why on earth do they even sell red then!?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ugh! I have a whole set of red! Thought the color would be cool. Squeaking is not however
I remember something about it but not that it was Squeaky something about the ride with one vs the other. Why on earth do they even sell red then!?

you already answered your own question. lol

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm amazed this is new news to anyone. It seems as though the topic of ES red v. black bushings gets discussed at least once a week on here.

And there's still confusion on the difference between black and red. The short answer is there is none. It's the exact same compound used in both except for the color that gets mixed in. ES used graphite back in the 80's but discontinued it's use after they found it shortened the life of the part. If you search their products page you'll find no reference to graphite, and to verify this I just got off the phone with their tech support department and they confirmed it. So black is black and red is red. Beyond that it's all the same.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
For the crowd that wants their bushings to match their brake calipers.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And there's still confusion on the difference between black and red. The short answer is there is none. It's the exact same compound used in both except for the color that gets mixed in. ES used graphite back in the 80's but discontinued it's use after they found it shortened the life of the part. If you search their products page you'll find no reference to graphite, and to verify this I just got off the phone with their tech support department and they confirmed it. So black is black and red is red. Beyond that it's all the same.
Not to argue but....http://energysuspension.com/energy-tech/frequently-asked-questions.html

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

How often do they update their web page? The tech guy I talked to chuckled when I said guys are sure about graphite in their products. So as of info that's 15 minutes old I'm thinking it's not used anymore.

Edit: Ok, to cut through the bs I called them again and talked to a different guy in tech support. He said there's an in-house system for rating the hardness of their products, either 95A or 95T. They have a few products with the harder 95T rating that DO contain graphite but these are limited to severe duty applications such as leaf spring bushings for 1-ton and heavier trucks. I asked what percentage of their product line contained graphite and he said less than 5%. No body bushings are 95T so no graphite. Then I zeroed in on 73-87 applications and was told there "might be" graphite in C30/3500 series parts but it's more commonly found in Super Duty parts like F450s. So for 1/2 and 3/4 ton squares all parts are the softer 95A material without graphite.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
LOL.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
How often do they update their web page? The tech guy I talked to chuckled when I said guys are sure about graphite in their products. So as of info that's 15 minutes old I'm thinking it's not used anymore.

Edit: Ok, to cut through the bs I called them again and talked to a different guy in tech support. He said there's an in-house system for rating the hardness of their products, either 95A or 95T. They have a few products with the harder 95T rating that DO contain graphite but these are limited to severe duty applications such as leaf spring bushings for 1-ton and heavier trucks. I asked what percentage of their product line contained graphite and he said less than 5%. No body bushings are 95T so no graphite. Then I zeroed in on 73-87 applications and was told there "might be" graphite in C30/3500 series parts but it's more commonly found in Super Duty parts like F450s. So for 1/2 and 3/4 ton squares all parts are the softer 95A material without graphite.
Good looking out thanks. :waytogo: I still won’t buy red lol

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used the black bushings and lubricated them with whatever grease I had on hand. They were quiet at first, then started to squeak a little, and then finally settled down to being quiet overall. I never hear any noise now.

Replacing bushings turned out to be more benefit than I expected. The first time I started the engine I thought something was wrong because it was so much quieter. It turned out that my cab had been sitting right on top of the transfer case due to collapsed bushings, and now there is air space, so much less drivetrain noise makes it into the cab. It also put my TH350 shifter linkage back into better alignment, so now my neutral safety switch works both in park and neutral.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sszcam