Blue HVAC line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I’m attempting to get my a/c going. The heater core has been replaced before (I didn’t do it) and while looking under the dash to verify everything is correct I found a blue line. I believe it’s for defrost? Getting ac lines Monday and going to try to get it blowing cold. Any help is appreciated on where this goes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's one of the diagrams I have. It sound control one side of the vacuum pod in the below picture. The pod in red controls the door in the red box.

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So is the port for the blue line on the inside of the box? I’d seen some pictures where it was supposed to be on the side of the pod in red but I’ve reached my arm in there and can’t find another port on it. Thanks for the help!

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m not sure if it’s related, but I also found this. Looks like the blue line would go right into it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The pod sits between the heater box and the fire wall. My '85 is a little different. Both nipples are exposed outside of the box. My hose goes directly to the pod.

IIRC my '79 was like your 83, I think there is a small jumper hose that comes from the pod, goes through the box and then connects to the blue hose. I sold that truck 4 years ago so I'm not entirely sure.

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay so I should be okay to connect to that jumper? Thanks for all the help man, trying to make sure it’s all correct.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I just realized, that could be the tan hose on the diagram. FYI this is the only vacuum pod in the system that works in two directions, thus the reason for two lines hooked to it.

Your's should look like the metal one on the left. If the hoses are hooked up backwards it will operate the blend door in the opposite direction. The black pod is the replacement/later model version for our trucks. They come with adapters to fit the smaller hoses on the metal units.

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I have the one on the left. I reached in there and the piece I had circled in the picture is brittle so I guess I’ll be taking the box out to fix it or just hope the ac will work okay without it for now. It does have the line connected on the exterior.

83TwoTone

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I ended up cutting the line I had circled shorter to remove the rot on it. I was able to put the blue line on it, then finesse it in there and get it on the other side of the vacuum pod. It wasn’t easy especially with the little room and the hole that it goes in but I got it. Thanks for all the help man.

SteveLNew

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 LS1
Sorry I know this is a fairly old thread, but do those actuators actually go bad often?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Sorry I know this is a fairly old thread, but do those actuators actually go bad often?
Not really. I've only change 1 on my last two trucks (over the last 8 years).

I ran into a problem on my current '85 where all the pods would hold vacuum, but the controller for the HVAC leaked. If course that valve is discontinued, so I had to buy a NOS controller. The valve is in the lower left of photo #1. Prior to buying a new unit, I tried to grease the rubber gasket inside like others have, but it didn't work for me.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
49 years and no problems with the actuators. Been in Alaska, SoCal, Vegas; all types of environments. I've replaced HVAC door seals and used PB Blaster on the TEMP cable but no actuator trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gewil