Blown rear end in 86 K5 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redddogg

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Been lurking here for awhile and finally making a post. I blew up the 12 bolt 3:08 rear end in my 86 blazer. I live in Toronto Canada and am having a hard time locating a used unit. What are my best options if I can find a unit with a different ratio? (I understand I'm going to have to change the front).

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What do you mean "blown"?? Have you taken the cover off? It might be just as cheap to repair the one that's in it rather than having to replace both front and rear. But, if you've ever considered a gear ratio change, now would be the time.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I too suggest pulling the cover and seeing what happened. Good time to buy a new ring and pinion, maybe replace the OE limited slip (if it's got one) with a better unit, and inspect/replace the axle bearings, seals, and inspect the axles where the bearing chew....er, I mean, run.

Redddogg

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Sorry didn't have more info at the time of posting. It had an auburn posi in it that exploded and took out pretty much everything. The housing is not gouged or anything but it ruined pretty much everything. I don't have the space to work on it where I am and it's winter so outdoor is a no go. It's at a buddies shop right now. Parts and labour to rebuild mine is about $1800 which I'm not prepared to spend on it and 12 bolt 3:08's are apparently hens teeth in these parts.

Redddogg

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Update. I found a front and rear 12bolt 3.08 only an hours drive away for $200 for both. Hopefully they are serviceable.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Definitely a good price. Hopefully they will be good. Good luck.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Redddogg

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Thanks. I'm crossing my fingers, that price is almost too good to be true. The next one was 6 hrs away and $400 for the rear alone. I'm hoping that I can just pull the guts and keep my old housing as this one has been sitting outdoors for some time.

Redddogg

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Picked up the axels today. Front is totally complete with steering dampener attached that looks in good shape, and rear is good too. Even got a spare Dana 44 front housing with tubes as a bonus. Should get things going tomorrow or Monday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue